BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
llt34c
Calcite | Level 5

I have output my interactive means from the glimmix procedure of SAS and am trying to make box plots from these means. Please see the attached. I don't understand why they aren't coming through as box plots. See my code below. I am wanting to look and see if there are any outliers in this data set and thus, am wanting to visualize with box plots. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Proc SGPlot data=Means;
Vbox Mu/ Category=ParityGrpStrat1 Group=Trt;
Run;

Outliers.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
WarrenKuhfeld
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Given your data, you are successfully plotting the means.  You see the mean and the median, which are the same.  That is all you provided to plot.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
WarrenKuhfeld
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Try it once without group= and see if that is more what you had in mind.  I have never tried group= and category= together.  Do you have any variability within those groups?

llt34c
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks. This allowed me to see the box plots better for each "grouping" if you will. I plotted with the raw data and was successful. Just not sure why it wouldn't work the same with these means.

Thanks for your help!

Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Hi:

It was my understanding that the Box plot was doing the summarizing for you. For example, in the documentation about box plots:

about_box_plots.png

SASHELP.PRDSALE is NOT pre-summarized. The VBOX statement causes the data to be summarized and the mean calculated.

Or, if I do this:

proc sgplot data=sashelp.iris;
  vbox sepallength / group=species;
run;

SASHELP.IRIS is not presummarized, the mean and outlier are shown based on the unsummarized data in the data set.

The things I might suggest are that you use your original dataset with the SGPLOT procedure step so that you see the distribution of your unsummarized data.

OR, PROC GLIMMIX has a PLOTS= option and will produce a Box plot using ODS GRAPHICS, so looking up the PLOTS= option might help you too.

Also, if you are just looking for outliers, PROC UNIVARIATE will show you the 5 highest and lowest (extreme obs) by default if you do this:

proc univariate data=sashelp.iris;
  var sepallength;
run;

cynthia

llt34c
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks for your help. I was able to successfully plot with the raw data. I am still not sure though why I can't with the means. 

Thanks again!

WarrenKuhfeld
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Given your data, you are successfully plotting the means.  You see the mean and the median, which are the same.  That is all you provided to plot.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation