BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
djrisks
Barite | Level 11

Hello,

I have a graph that shows the number of adverse events and the severity of the event for a few terms. The terms are split by System Organ Class which is denoted by the bands. I would like to be able to use hbarparm instead of vbarparm, and therefore would like to use the blockplot on the y-axis, however so far I can only make the blockplot work with the x-axis. My main aim is to be able for someone to tell which system organ class the adverse events are related too, and so I thought an easy way to do this was to shade the background.

Attached below is my image. Essentially, I'd like to rotate the image 90 degrees. Have you got any ideas please?

blockplot background.png

Below is the SAS code I have used so far, altough, there is no data.

proc sgplot data = count_max4 dattrmap=myattrmap;
  block x = AECTC block = aesoc / filltype=alternate novalues;
  vbarparm response = count_ae category = AECTC / group = max_aetoxgrn groupdisplay = stack grouporder=ascending attrid = myid name = "leg";
  keylegend "leg" / down = 1;
  xaxis /*values = (0 to 8 by 1)*/ type = discrete label = "Number of Patients with Related Treatment Emergent Adverse Events";
  yaxis valueattrs = (size = 5);
  format group grp.;
run;

Thank you,

Kriss

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
arodriguez
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hi Kriss,

how it's going? I think that the bandplot could not be used with a axis different to the X.

I know that is not the best way, but could you pas the X-axis to numeric, and after that rename the axis with discrete ticklist and use something like

proc template;
define statgraph sgplot_blockplot;
begingraph /;
layout overlay / xaxisopts=( Label="Number of Patients with Related Treatment Emergent Adverse Events" ) yaxisopts=( TickValueAttrs=( Size=5)  );

BarChartParm X=order Y=Age /  orient=horizontal Group=Sex LegendLabel="Age" NAME="leg" groupdisplay=cluster grouporder=ascending;
	 bandplot y=order limitupper=top
          limitlower=down /group=SEX DATATRANSPARENCY=0.6 DISCRETEOFFSET=0.5; ;
   DiscreteLegend "leg" / Location=Outside down=1 order=columnMajor;
endlayout;
endgraph;
end;
run;

proc sort data=sashelp.class out=class;
by sex name;
run;

data Class;
	set Class;
	order=_N_;
	top=20;
	down=0;
run;

proc sgrender data=class template=sgplot_blockplot;
run;

Test.png

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
arodriguez
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hi Kriss,

how it's going? I think that the bandplot could not be used with a axis different to the X.

I know that is not the best way, but could you pas the X-axis to numeric, and after that rename the axis with discrete ticklist and use something like

proc template;
define statgraph sgplot_blockplot;
begingraph /;
layout overlay / xaxisopts=( Label="Number of Patients with Related Treatment Emergent Adverse Events" ) yaxisopts=( TickValueAttrs=( Size=5)  );

BarChartParm X=order Y=Age /  orient=horizontal Group=Sex LegendLabel="Age" NAME="leg" groupdisplay=cluster grouporder=ascending;
	 bandplot y=order limitupper=top
          limitlower=down /group=SEX DATATRANSPARENCY=0.6 DISCRETEOFFSET=0.5; ;
   DiscreteLegend "leg" / Location=Outside down=1 order=columnMajor;
endlayout;
endgraph;
end;
run;

by sex name;
run;

data Class;
	set Class;
	order=_N_;
	top=20;
	down=0;
run;

proc sgrender data=class template=sgplot_blockplot;
run;

Test.png
djrisks
Barite | Level 11

Hi Antonio,

Yes it's good thanks, I hope you're well.

Thank you for this solution, I was thinking of the band plot too, but knew it worked with numeric values. This is a great workaround! Nice 🙂 Thank you.

Kriss

Jay54
Meteorite | Level 14

Antonio has proposed a good solution. If you wan to cover the edge bar widths, then another way is to use reference lines for each set of bars.  In this case only one set is needed.  But this could be extended for multiple sets using alternate colors or different colors like a BLOCKPLOT.  Names can be shown using YAXISTABLE.

by sex name;
run;

data Class;
set Class;
id=_n_;
if sex="M" then refid=id;
run;

proc sgplot data=class;
refline refid / lineattrs=(thickness=16) transparency=0.5;
hbarparm category=id response=age / group=sex;
yaxistable name / position=left location=outside valuejustify=right;
yaxis display=(novalues noticks nolabel);
xaxis offsetmin=0;
run;

djrisks
Barite | Level 11

Thank you for this Sanjay, this really helps! 🙂

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 3 in conversation