BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Quentin
Super User

Hi All,

I'm tearing apart a slow GTL boxplot (10-20 seconds on a 100,000 obs dataset) to see what parts are making it slow.  I'm using an attribute map to traffic-light it, and it seems that may be one contributor.  Running v9.3.

Below sample code I expand sashelp.prdsale into 144,000 obs, then run two SGRENDER steps to make box plots.  When I use the template with an attribute map, it takes 7 seconds, vs 1 second when there is no attribute map.  Interestingly, if I remove the /group option on the BOXPLOT statement, the time is the same.  So the time seems to be in the creation of the attribute map.

Does it make sense that building an attribute map would slow the SGRENDER step this much?  In my head the attribute map might only have 2 levels (red and black), but perhaps it ends up with 144,000?  

proc template;
  define statgraph BoxWithAttributeMap;
    begingraph;
      discreteattrmap name='AttrMapBox';
          value 'Red'    / fillattrs=(color=red) ;
          value 'Black'  / fillattrs=(color=lightgrey) ;
      enddiscreteattrmap;
      discreteattrvar 
        attrVar=AttrColorBox
        var=BoxColor
        attrmap='AttrMapBox' 
      ;
      layout overlay ;
        boxplot x=category y=actual /group=AttrColorBox ;
      endlayout; 
    endgraph;
  end;

define statgraph BoxNoAttributeMap;
    begingraph;
      layout overlay ;
        boxplot x=category y=actual;
      endlayout; 
    endgraph;
  end;
run;

data prdsale;
  set sashelp.prdsale;
  category=catx('-',country,region,product);
  length BoxColor $10;
  if category='CANADA-EAST-BED' then BoxColor='Red';
  else BoxColor='Black';
  do i=1 to 100;
    output;
  end;
run;

proc sgrender data=prdsale template="BoxWithAttributeMap";
run;
proc sgrender data=prdsale template="BoxNoAttributeMap";
run;

Thanks,

--Q.

BASUG is hosting free webinars Next up: Mike Sale presenting Data Warehousing with SAS April 10 at noon ET. Register now at the Boston Area SAS Users Group event page: https://www.basug.org/events.
2 REPLIES 2
Jay54
Meteorite | Level 14

Hi Quentin,

The experts here at SAS are looking into your use case, and have identified reasons for the slowdown.  This will be something we can address in the next release.

In the meantime, you could possibly work around the isue that is slowing this down..  Since you have a large data set, the parm data created for rendering contains not only the data for drawing the box, but also the original data set.  That is slowing down the internal process.  One way (similar to your previous question) would be to run the box plot WITHOUT the attr map setting and get the parm data (ODS OUTPUT).  Filter out the rows where STAT is missing.  Note, the STAT column name may have an internally generated long column name.

Now, run the GTL program with the AttrMap using BOXPLOTPARM and the new cleaned data set.  You will have to assign the internally generated long column names, including the one for group.  Use that for the group and the attrmap.  See if this helps.

Quentin
Super User

Thanks @Jay54, can definitely see how BOXPLOTPARM would help with this issue as well.  Really appreciate all your help on here (and your books and presentations and... )  I'll likely have more questions next week....

But have a great weekend!

BASUG is hosting free webinars Next up: Mike Sale presenting Data Warehousing with SAS April 10 at noon ET. Register now at the Boston Area SAS Users Group event page: https://www.basug.org/events.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation