BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
ckx
Quartz | Level 8 ckx
Quartz | Level 8
Spoiler
We've recently installed a SAS server configuration with the UTF-8 encoding. One of the things I've ecountered is a message to the SAS log when using ODS Graphics:

WARNING: The font Arial is not available. Albany AMT will be used.

I can't find any information on this message in relation to ODS Graphics. I know that "Albany AMT" is an Arial clone by SAS Institute. If I recall correctly, you could use Albany AMT in SAS/Graph procedures in SAS 9.2 whereas Arial and other Truetype fonts needed to be registered.

My question is, can I suppress this warning? The problem is that our quality control procedures require that I explain an unavoidable warnings in the SAS log. The same program runs fine using the Wlatin1 encoding. Any suggestions?

I'm using Enterprise Guide 6.1 with SAS 9.4M1 on a Windows 2008 R2 server. The same problem occurs using SAS 9.4M3 on our test server. I'm creating RTF and PDF output, usually with the "Analysis" style. I've tried a few other styles, that didn't make the warning go away.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
DanH_sas
SAS Super FREQ

The list you are showing are not necessarily registered fonts. This list is an association between a font directive (e.g. san-serif) using in ODS styles and an actual font name (e.g. Arial). This association is in the regeistry regardless of registered fonts. The true list of registered fonts are under CORE/PRINTING/FREETYPE/FONTS. To see what I mean, search for "Albany AMT". You should get a hit under that directory. If Arial does not show up under there, you will need to get an admin to run PROC FONTREG to update the font list.

Thanks!

Dan

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
DanH_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Is the Arial font on your system? If it is, try using PROC FONTREG to register the font to your UTF-8 configured system. Hope this helps!

ckx
Quartz | Level 8 ckx
Quartz | Level 8

Well, I'm running SAS on a server so I can't just modify the SAS registry. I ran proc registry to check which fonts were installed and this seems to be the case (duplicates removed)

MTsans-serif-unicode="Arial Unicode MS"
MTsans-serif="Arial Unicode MS"
MTsans-serif="Arial Unicode MS"
sans-serif="Arial Unicode MS"
sans-serif="Arial"

But the problem doesn't occur on the same server using the Wlatin1 encoding so Arial is definitely on the system. As I understand it, the UTF-8 configuration runs on the same SAS install but uses a different config.sas file. A strange and annoying problem

DanH_sas
SAS Super FREQ

The list you are showing are not necessarily registered fonts. This list is an association between a font directive (e.g. san-serif) using in ODS styles and an actual font name (e.g. Arial). This association is in the regeistry regardless of registered fonts. The true list of registered fonts are under CORE/PRINTING/FREETYPE/FONTS. To see what I mean, search for "Albany AMT". You should get a hit under that directory. If Arial does not show up under there, you will need to get an admin to run PROC FONTREG to update the font list.

Thanks!

Dan

ckx
Quartz | Level 8 ckx
Quartz | Level 8

It seems PROC FONTREG does the trick. As a user, you can specify

* Add fonts to the SAS registry - avoid error Arial replaced by Albany AMT;
proc fontreg msglevel=none;
    fontpath 'C:\Windows\Fonts';
run;

This will update the registry for the current session, but it only takes 0.76 seconds.

I think the SAS admin would have to add "usesashelp" and run the program with admin rights. I'll have to check that with SAS support first.

proc fontreg usesashelp;
    fontpath 'C:\Windows\Fonts';
run;

Still strange that no warning occurs in a Wlatin1 session

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation