BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
BjoernHolzhauer
Obsidian | Level 7

I am trying to get multi-line splits on values on tick marks on an axis in PROC SGPLOT in SAS 9.4 TS Level 1M1. I had assumed I could get this using SPLITCHAR, but I do not seem to get this to work. A minimal working example of my code is below and I attach a screenshot of my output.

example.jpg

proc format;

value xf

1="very long text long text X very long text long text"

2="long text long text, too X long text long text, too";

run;

data test;

x=1; y=2;

output;

x=2; y=3;

output;

run;

ods graphics / width=12cm height=10cm;

proc sgplot data=test;

format x xf.;

label x="Will this very long, long, long text split somewhere after here X and this further text be line 2?";

xaxis splitchar="X" fitpolicy=splitalways values=(1,2);

series x=x y=y ; 

run;

15 REPLIES 15
Jay54
Meteorite | Level 14

Tick value splitting works for DISCRETE axis, not in the case where the axis is actually numeric, but the values are formatted to strings.  We will have to address that in next release.

It will work if you make the axis Discrete.

SplitChar.png

Iryna1
Fluorite | Level 6

What about the case when the axis is actually numeric, but the values are formatted to strings? Is there any way to wrap the axis values text? I'd like to have '0D 00H 00M' in 3 lines. Is it possible?

DanH_sas
SAS Super FREQ

For non-discrete axes, it can done using annotation. If you look at the first example on page 5 of my paper (see thelink below), you will see the techinque that can be applied to any axis (the example used a bar chart). It might be helpful to also see the previous example on pages 3-4 to give additional context. For now, the splitting policy works only for discrete axes (as Sanjay said); but, hopefully we can address this need in the future as well.

Thanks!

Dan

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjL0fC0h-TM...

Iryna1
Fluorite | Level 6

Thank you! Great article!

So it I'm plotting 

series x = atptn1 y = aval2 / group = randno ;

where atptn1 is a numeric variable, as I understood correctly from your example I need to use anno like this:

data anno;
set test (keep=atpt) end=_last_;
length x1space $ 11 y1space $ 13 anchor $ 6;
rename atpt=atptn1;
retain function "text" x1space "datavalue" y1space "wallpercent" width 15
justify "center" y1 -1 anchor "top";
label=state;
output;
if (_last_) then do;
x1space = "wallpercent";
y1space = "graphpercent";
anchor="bottom";
x1=50;
y1=1;
output;
end;
run;

where atpt variable is character that I want actually to put on x axis. Right?

For some reason I've got those errors:

WARNING 1-322: Assuming the symbol X was misspelled as XSP.
73: LINE and COLUMN cannot be determined.
NOTE: NOSPOOL is on. Rerunning with OPTION SPOOL might allow recovery of the LINE and COLUMN where the error has occurred.
ERROR 73-322: Expecting an =.
76: LINE and COLUMN cannot be determined.
NOTE: NOSPOOL is on. Rerunning with OPTION SPOOL might allow recovery of the LINE and COLUMN where the error has occurred.
ERROR 76-322: Syntax error, statement will be ignored.

Any idea what does this mean?

DanH_sas
SAS Super FREQ

You're close. You need to rename "atpt1' to be 'x1', because that is the column that the TEXT function used to position text int he X direction:

rename atptn1 = x1;

Give that  try and see if it works for you. Also, you have LABEL=STATE. In your earlier post, you mentioned special time label. Should this variable be something other than STATE (my example in the paper used STATE).

Iryna1
Fluorite | Level 6

Yeah, it really helped! Much thanks!

Do you happen to know if there is a way to put a legend not right after the graph, but 2 lines lower? Without sganno?

DanH_sas
SAS Super FREQ

I'm not sure what you're asking. Are you talking about POSITION=BOTTOM on the legend?

Iryna1
Fluorite | Level 6

Yes. I'm asking because I've wrapped axis values in 3 lines and now they are on top of the legend. I need to move legend down. Is there easy way to do that?

Jay54
Meteorite | Level 14

Please attach sample.

You can move the legend to some other location, either inside or outside the data area.  See LOCATION and POSITION options for KEYLEGEND.

Iryna1
Fluorite | Level 6

Sample is attached. Location and position statements do not help. It's already position=bottom, but since I'm drawing x axis values with anno and legend is keylegend they're on top of each other. 

Untitled.png
DanH_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Now seeing you example, there are too many legend entries to locate the legend on the inside. Try each one of these options and see if you get something that works for you:

keylegend / position=right across=1;

keylegend / position=top;

DanH_sas
SAS Super FREQ

As Sanjay said, for SAS 9.3, your best option is to move the legend somewhere else using some combination os LOCATION and POSITION. Note that, if you use LOCATION=INSIDE without specifying a position, the rendering technology will automatically position the legend in a place of least collision with data. In SAS 9.4, maintenance 2, we also added an option on the KEYLEGEND statement called OUTERPAD, which give you the ability to move the legend down like you originally asked.

Iryna1
Fluorite | Level 6

Is there way to do this in SAS 9.3?

Iryna1
Fluorite | Level 6

Great idea to put legend on top or left! I'll choose one of those options I guess. Thanks a lot!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 5 in conversation