BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
EzPaste
Calcite | Level 5

Hello,

When using the following, the values of the group variable (dimension) appears vertically and could not been displayed properly. How can I turn the to appear horizontal?

I tried rotate with different values in the axis statement but no success. Thanks

goptions   hpos=67 vsize=  8.4200  inches  hsize= 8.6 inches  ftext="times" htext=1.5 ctext=navy HORIGIN=0.0 IN  device=activex;

axis1  noplane order=(2 to 5 by 1)  label=(font=times  '') style=0  major=none minor=none value=none;

axis2 color=red NOPLANE  VALUE=(ROTATE=0 ) label=none SPLIT="*" style=0 ;

axis3 color=black NOPLANE label=(font=simulate '' ) SPLIT="*" style=0;

proc gchart data=KukuAppend;

hbar Entity  / descending mean group=dimension patternid=midpoint sumvar=_Engineering2012 name="Height" raxis=axis1  gaxis=axis2 maxis=axis3 GSPACE=0.1 SPACE=0.1 ;

format _Engineering2012 5.2;

pattern1  c=orange;

pattern2  c=navy;

Abe

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jay54
Meteorite | Level 14

If you are using SGPLOT, you have to use GROUPDISPLAY=CLUSTER option with HBAR to get the side-by-side bars:

proc sgplot data=a001DistributionYouAndOthers ;

hbar  dimension/ STAT= mean group=entity   response=PctN_10  dataskin=pressed  DATALABEL

GROUPDISPLAY=CLUSTER;

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
AncaTilea
Pyrite | Level 9

Please provide some sample data.

Thanks!

GraphGuy
Meteorite | Level 14

Does the following simple example work ok for you, and produce group axis values vertical and horizontal as expected?

axis1 value=(angle=90);

axis2 value=(angle=0);

proc gchart data=sashelp.shoes

(where=(

subsidiary in ('Khartoum' 'Luanda') and

product in ('Boot' 'Sandal' 'Slipper')));

hbar product / type=sum sumvar=sales group=subsidiary gaxis=axis1;

hbar product / type=sum sumvar=sales group=subsidiary gaxis=axis2;

run;

If that works, then you might try paring down your goptions & axis options to the bare minimum in your code, and see if that fixes the problem, and then work from there.  Also, you might try device=png rather than device=activex, to see if this is one of those scenarios where an option might be partially or differently supported in activex.

EzPaste
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks,

Your code works well for few bars but not with more 6-7 values in the vertical axis. the values appear vertical and are unreadable

Tried also other devices but other issues arise

Abe

GraphGuy
Meteorite | Level 14

Can you post up an image, or a Web url link, to an example of a graph that is like the one you're wanting?

(If so, then I will write some example code to produce a graph like that...)

EzPaste
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks

I want to achieve something like that (http://www.ezpaste.net/ftp/Sample.png) , even much less fancy but readable

Abe

Jay54
Meteorite | Level 14

With  SAS 9.3 SGPLOT procedure you can get a reasonable facsimile.  You could even do the overlapping bars.  Do you have SAS 9.3?

BarGapGroup.png

EzPaste
Calcite | Level 5

Looks very nice. Thanks

Can it be achieved with older versions of sas as 9.0?

I was thinking about annotate but not sure how to handle that complex feature. Could you help?

Abe

Jay54
Meteorite | Level 14

I can get part of the way there.  The key is to insert unique blanks into the list of companies.  Each unique blank is made up of a leading and trailing nsbp, and increasing number of blanks.  To retain data order, the companies have to be indexed by numeric id, and then formatted to show company name.  Here is the graph and code.  I am sure it can be improved upon.

One problem is the "0.0" stat shown for the gaps.  Maybe you can use Annotate to label the bars near the top, and not label the gaps.

BarBreakGroupGChart.png

proc format;
  value company
  1 = 'Company 1'
  2 = 'Company 2'
  3 = 'Company 3'
  4 = 'A0'x ' ' 'A0'x
  5 = 'Company 4'
  6 = 'Company 5'
  7 = 'Company 6'
  8 = 'Company 7'
  9 = 'Company 8'
  10 = 'A0'x '  ' 'A0'x
  11 = 'Company 9'
  12 = 'Company 10';
  run;

data companies;
  length Type $12;
  format i Company.;
  drop r1 r2;
  format response 3.1;

do i=1 to 12;
    r1=2+2*ranuni(2);
    r2=3+2*ranuni(2);

if i in (4 10) then do;
      r1=.; r2=.;
    end;

Type="Other"; Response=r1;output;
   Type="Engineering"; Response=r2;output;

end;
run;

goptions reset=all device=png vsize=6in hsize=4in htext=8pt
         gsfname=graphout gsfmode=replace noimageprint;
filename graphout 'C:\Work\Blogs\Communities\images\BarBreakGroupGChart.png';
axis1 label=none value=none major=none minor=none;
axis2 label=none major=none minor=none;

proc gchart data=companies;
  hbar type / sumvar=response group=i subgroup=type
       maxis=axis1 raxis=axis1 gaxis=axis2 outside=sum sumlabel=none;
  run;

EzPaste
Calcite | Level 5

Hello,

I'm learning the sgplot procedure which looks great. Trying to achieve similar to your chart but always getting stacked bar instead of sideByside

hbar  dimension/ STAT= mean group=entity   response=PctN_10  dataskin=pressed  DATALABEL  ;

Could you help?

Thanks

Abe

Jay54
Meteorite | Level 14

If you are using SGPLOT, you have to use GROUPDISPLAY=CLUSTER option with HBAR to get the side-by-side bars:

hbar  dimension/ STAT= mean group=entity   response=PctN_10  dataskin=pressed  DATALABEL

GROUPDISPLAY=CLUSTER;

EzPaste
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks a lot

Is there a way to control the order of the bars and the way the categories appear on the axis as the split=* does not seem to work with sgplot?

Abe

Jay54
Meteorite | Level 14

By default, SGPLOT will order the categories alphabetically.  But since we are introducing special categoreis for the gaps, we must request SGPLOT to display the categories in data order.  Here is the SGPLOT program I used to create the graph.

NOTE: You will need to look up the SGPLOT doc.  Options you are familiar with in SAS/GRAPH procedures like GCHART will not translate over to the SG procedures.

/*--Create the data--*/
data companies;
  length Company Type $12;
  drop i r1 r2;
  format response 3.1;

do i=1 to 22;
    Company="Company " || put(i, 2.);
    r1=2+2*ranuni(2);
    r2=3+2*ranuni(2);

if i eq 4 then Company='. .';
    else if i eq 10 then Company='.  .';
    else if i eq 13 then Company='.   .';
    else if i eq 18 then Company='.    .';

if i in (4 10 13 18) then do;
      r1=.; r2=.;
end;

Company=translate(Company, 'A0'x, '.');
Type="Other"; Response=r1;output;
Type="Engineering"; Response=r2;output;

end;
run;

/*--Create the graph--*/

ods graphics / reset noscale width=3in height=6in imagename='BarGapGroup';
proc sgplot data=companies;
  hbar company / response=response group=type groupdisplay=cluster datalabel
       dataskin=sheen datalabelattrs=(size=5);
  yaxis display=(nolabel noticks) discreteorder=data valueattrs=(size=6);
  xaxis display=none;
  run;

RKNC
Calcite | Level 5

I'm trying to achieve the same in SAS9.2 I realise i can't use the GROUPDISPLAY=CLUSTER option there. Is there a work around to do the same using proc sgplot?

thanks,

RK

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 7 likes
  • 5 in conversation