BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
dardesta
Fluorite | Level 6

I am trying to do a simple plot showing the 10th and 90th percentile ranges of grades as well as the labels.  Unfortunately, when I run the code the bottom label is not going below the tickmark.

**Setting up the data;

data grades;

input section $ grade @@;

datalines;

A 74 A 89 A 91 A 76 A 87 A 93 A 93 A 96 A 55 A 80 A 82

B 72 B 72 B 84 B 81 B 97 B 78 B 88 B 90 B 74 B 80 B 82

C 62 C 74 C 71 C 87 C 68 C 78 C 80 C 85 C 82 C 80 C 82

;

proc means data=grades noprint;

by section;

output out=grades2(drop=_:) p10(grade)=p10 p90(grade)=p90;

run;

proc transpose data=grades2 out=grades3(rename=(_name_=type col1=grade));

by section;

run;

*Prepare for 3 symbols;

*Symbol1 (p10), symbol2 (p90), symbol3 (connecting p10 and p90 with hilo);

data grades4;

set grades3 grades3(in=inb);

if inb then type='z';

run;

graphs

ods rtf file="K:\test.rtf";

symbol1 C=blue I=hilot V=none w=3 pointlabel=(j=c position=bottom f=times);

symbol2 C=blue I=hilot V=none w=3 pointlabel=(j=c position=top f=times);

symbol3 C=blue I=hilot V=none w=.01 pointlabel=none;

proc gplot data=grades4;

plot grade*section=type;

run;

quit;

ods rtf close;

The resulting output from the rtf is attached. As seen, the p10 labels are not shown below the tickmarks.  Very oddly, at some point when I was testing the code the labels were aligned properly, but I am not sure what is causing this.  Any help would be appreciated.

Picture1.jpg
4 REPLIES 4
ballardw
Super User

With SAS 9.2 unable to duplicate this behavior. I get the bottom labels below.

I would try running this code and looking for any additional options in your symbol1 statement.

proc goptions symbol;run;

The log will have the full definition of the symbols. Sometimes other options hang around you don't expect. If you see something you don't expect then try

symbol1;

to clear the full current assignment and then re-run your symbol definitions and the gplot code.

dardesta
Fluorite | Level 6

I'm running SAS 9.4.  This behavior occurs even after I restart SAS. I do have this warning message for some reason which I cannot determine: WARNING: The height specified for the pointlabel might cause the labels to         overlap other elements on the graph.

ballardw
Super User

I have found that under some conditions some of the graph options will persist across sessions at least with 9.2 and earlier version 9.

Did you try the proc goptions code and look at the symbol definitions?

The warning is possibly related to font size and the default distance from the plot element such as the HILO line or the ends. You may note that your work library has both a GSEG catalog and an RTF catalog with versions of the graph in each. And they may not look alike. See if the text looks like it is overlapping in one (most likely the GSEG).

dardesta
Fluorite | Level 6

I reran the code today and oddly enough it generated the correct output.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation