BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Ullsokk
Pyrite | Level 9

I have been tearing my hair out with frustration for the last hour. I just want a histogram for my age distribution, in bins of 1 bar per age category (age in years, no decimals in the data), showing values 0, 5, 10 etc in the x-axis.

I am working from Enterprise Guide.

I cannot believe how many different procs there are to make histograms, each with different syntax. There is the 

proc univairate data=mydate;
histogram age; 
run;

or 

proc gchart data=mydata;
vbar age /discrete;
run;

or 

PROC SGPLOT DATA = mydata;
 HISTOGRAM age/binwidth=1 binstart=0;
 TITLE "Age";
 xaxis values=(0 to 100 by 1);
RUN; 

etc. 

The closest I have come is with the SGPLOT, but the first bar is halvway hidden behind the Y axis. Does anyone know how to make the first bar visible?

age.PNG

Also, which command would you use to generate a simple histogram like this? Is there something like a best practice? Are some of these older procs getting faded out?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

You're correct that there are many ways to create a histogram -- you touched only on a few of them!  

I think the simplest method is the one you tried last: PROC SGPLOT.  Since you have 100 bins and the graph is only so wide, the algorithm to make everything fit might make your left-most extreme value seem very tight against the axis.  You can use the OFFSETMIN= option to give a little more space.  Try this:

data sample (keep=age);
 do i = 1 to 100000;
   age = abs ( floor ( rand('triangle',0.1) * 100 ) );
   output;
 end;
run;

ods graphics / width=1000px height=400px;
proc sgplot data=sample;
 HISTOGRAM age / binwidth=1 binstart=0 ;
 TITLE "Age";
 xaxis values=(0 to 100 by 1) offsetmin=.01 offsetmax=.01 ;
RUN; 

hist.png

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

You're correct that there are many ways to create a histogram -- you touched only on a few of them!  

I think the simplest method is the one you tried last: PROC SGPLOT.  Since you have 100 bins and the graph is only so wide, the algorithm to make everything fit might make your left-most extreme value seem very tight against the axis.  You can use the OFFSETMIN= option to give a little more space.  Try this:

data sample (keep=age);
 do i = 1 to 100000;
   output;
 end;
run;

proc sgplot data=sample;
 TITLE "Age";
RUN; 

hist.png

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
Ullsokk
Pyrite | Level 9

Thank you! Don't think I would have found that sollution on my own. 

Is there a simple way to split this chart by say gender? So that I get a stacked histogram?

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

Of course! Again, multple methods, but now it sounds like you're more interested in a VBAR with a grouping variable than a classic histogram of statistical distribution.

You could try PROC SGPANEL with a HISTOGRAM statement and PANELBY for gender (that would yield two histograms).  Or you could use PROC FREQ to calc the percentages into a data set, then use a step like:

proc sgplot data=freq_output;
 vbar age / response=percent group=gender grouporder=data;
run;

DanH_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Building on Chris' example, here are three variations you do with your grouping variable

proc format;
value gender 1="Male"
             2="Female"
;
run;

data sample (keep=age g);
 do g = 1 to 2;
 do i = 1 to 100000;
   output;
 end;
 end;
run;

proc sgplot data=sample;
format g gender.;
 by g;
 TITLE "Age";
RUN;

proc sgplot data=sample;
format g gender.;
 HISTOGRAM age / binwidth=1 binstart=0 group=g transparency=0.5;
 TITLE "Age";
RUN;

proc sgpanel data=sample;
format g gender.;
 panelby g / layout=rowlattice novarname;
 TITLE "Age";
 colaxis values=(0 to 100 by 1) offsetmin=.01 offsetmax=.01 ;
RUN;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 3 in conversation