BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Adnan1
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

I am trying to build a 3 way Venn diagram visualising the data below.

Id                       min     max  avg

Good                 12      49    25

Bad                   12      41    30

Intermediate      23     46    49

I have sourced a macro via Google and does not seem provide a solution to my issue.

Macro Call

%macro venn(

data =summary_exp6

,venn_diagram = 3

,cutoff = < 0.3

,Good = Treatment A

,Bad = Treatment B

,Intermediate  = Treatment C

,out_location = H:\SAS Projects

,outputfilename = Venn diagram

);

The macro above (according to my limited SAS knowledge) will not alone create the output which I require.  I would be gratetful of any help resolving this issue.

Thanks !

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jay54
Meteorite | Level 14

I published an article on the 2-way proportional Euler diagram last year.  http://blogs.sas.com/content/graphicallyspeaking/?s=euler+diagram  Clearly the 3-way case is harder, but maybe you can get some ideas.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
DanZ
Obsidian | Level 7
Where's the rest of the macro?
Adnan1
Calcite | Level 5

That's all that I have at the moment. I do understand it forms part of a larger macro but thats what I need help with building.

Thanks

djrisks
Barite | Level 11

I have a paper on creating Venn Diagrams. As long as you have SAS 9.3 or more you can use the code. If you have the dataset created already than you only really need to use the GTL template.

http://support.sas.com/resources/papers/proceedings13/243-2013.pdf

djrisks
Barite | Level 11

What are you actually trying to plot on your venn diagram please?

Reeza
Super User

Here are some references with code samples. 

http://www.robslink.com/SAS/democd14/aaaindex.htm

ballardw
Super User

From a search on this topic I did a few years ago

Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

You probably don't want to hear this, but Venn diagrams that consist of planar circles are poor models for showing relationships between sets.  They can be used to show QUALITATIVE relationships, but are not good for quantitative relationships.

It is easy to construct examples in which the Venn diagram misrepresents the quantities that are shared between sets. The simplest example with three sets is A={1} and B={2} and C={1 2}. There is no way to use circles to construct a Venn diagram that represents this state correctly. Two attempts are shown below. The attempt on the left indicates that there are elements of C that are not contained in A or B, which is wrong. The attempt on the right also misrepresents the union and intersection.

When you get to four or more sets, the problems become even worse.

There are other shapes that you can use to construct Venn diagrams, such as rectangles, but in general a good cross-tabulation of counts or a mosaic plot is more informative. You can use PROC FREQ to create a mosaic plot automatically.

Region Capture.png

Jay54
Meteorite | Level 14

I published an article on the 2-way proportional Euler diagram last year.  http://blogs.sas.com/content/graphicallyspeaking/?s=euler+diagram  Clearly the 3-way case is harder, but maybe you can get some ideas.

Adnan1
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks guys for your help. Much appreciated !!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 7 in conversation