BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
prooney2
Fluorite | Level 6

I'd like to learn and understand the ETS Transfer Function Model specification syntax.

I want to specify a transfer function that corresponds to the JMP model specifications that are in the attached Word document.

I have an output series (Traffic_In) with which I am trying to predict with two input series: Total_Wi_Fi_Users  and NumTrans_rstrnt3.

Would the corresponding proc arima be:

proc arima data=d.Stor ;

IDENTIFY VAR=Traffic_In(1,7) CROSSCORR= (Total_Wi_Fi_Users (1,7) NumTrans_rstrnt3 (1,7)) nlag=28 ;

ESTIMATE p=(1)(7) q=(1)(7)

INPUT= (  (1)Total_Wi_Fi_Users (1)NumTrans_rstrnt3 / (1)Total_Wi_Fi_Users (1)NumTrans_rstrnt3 ) noprint ; run;

thank you in advance for any help or resources!

4 REPLIES 4
prooney2
Fluorite | Level 6

My attached JMP model specification was wrong, here is the updated specification and output

ShelleySessoms
Community Manager

JMP has their own community. It is best to post this question there: https://community.jmp.com/

Best wishes,

Shelley

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
prooney2
Fluorite | Level 6
HI Shelley,
Just want to make sure I made it clear that I'm looking for help in learning proc arima, not JMP
dw_sas
SAS Employee

Hi,

Based on the updated information, if you let Y=traffic_In, x1=Total_Wifi_Users and x2=Num_Trans_Rstrnt3, then you can specify your model in PROC ARIMA as:

proc arima data=dsname;
  identify var=y(1,7) crosscorr=( x1(1,7) x2(1,7));
  estimate p=(1) q=(1)(7) 
           input=( (1)(7)/(1) x1 (1)/(1)(7) x2) method=ml;
run;
quit;

I believe JMP uses maximum likelihood estimation by default, which is why I added the METHOD=ML option in the ESTIMATE statement.  For more details on the syntax for the INPUT= option when fitting a transfer function model in PROC ARIMA, please see the following documentation link:

http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/etsug/68148/HTML/default/viewer.htm#etsug_arima_details2...

It is possible that the parameter estimates computed by PROC ARIMA might differ from those obtained in JMP due to differences in the optimization algorithm, starting values, convergence criteria, etc.  However, for a model that fits the data well, the estimates should be relatively close.

I hope this helps!

DW

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

Multiple Linear Regression in SAS

Learn how to run multiple linear regression models with and without interactions, presented by SAS user Alex Chaplin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation