BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Azeddine
Obsidian | Level 7

I would like to use a binomial distribution with this proc,

Can i do that?

I would like to use a constant, can i do that?

1 REPLY 1
MaheshJoshi
SAS Employee

For a frequency distribution to be accepted through the COUNTSTORE= option of PROC HPCDM, you need to estimate it with PROC COUNTREG. Unfortunately, PROC COUNTREG does not support binomial distribution. However, it does support the negative binomial distribution, which is more commonly used to model count data than the binomial distribution. If you cannot use the negative binomial distribution, then you will need to use the external counts feature of PROC HPCDM. Steps to take:

• Estimate the binomial distribution by using something other than PROC COUNTREG.
  • Simulate a sample data set of counts by using your estimated binomial distribution. You can use DATA step to do this. Say this data set is called WORK.FOO and stores the generated count in a variable called COUNT.
  • Invoke PROC HPCDM with DATA=WORK.FOO along with other options as needed and specify "EXTERNALCOUNTS COUNT=COUNT;" statement to tell PROC HPCDM which variable contains the simulated counts.

I do not understand your question about "use a constant. Can you please elaborate? Do you want to simulate with a constant value of loss count? In that case, you can create a data set that contains one row and one column with column value being the constant value of the count you want to use, and then use the steps that are listed above to simulate with that constant count. If you want the sample size to be a multiple of the constant count, specifying the multiplier as the NREPLICATES= option.

Hope this answers your questions.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

Multiple Linear Regression in SAS

Learn how to run multiple linear regression models with and without interactions, presented by SAS user Alex Chaplin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation