Forecasting using SAS Forecast Server, SAS/ETS, and more

interpolating 100+ variables

Accepted Solution Solved
Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

interpolating 100+ variables

I have census data from 2001 and 2011. I want to interpolate all the variables for the in-between years by simple linear function. I don't want to use proc expand because of its constraint that slope will be zero in the beginning and end values. Any suggestions?

proc expand data=have out=want;
by state;
id year;
run;

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎02-13-2018 02:23 PM
Super User

Re: interpolating 100+ variables

Posted in reply to putteringpluie

PROC REG or a linear regression type models? That's still going to be a hell of a lot of variables and the assumption of constant growth isn't correct either. 

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
‎02-13-2018 02:23 PM
Super User

PROC REG or a linear regression type models? That's still going to be a hell of a lot of variables and the assumption of constant growth isn't correct either. 

Occasional Contributor

Thank you for such a quick reply. I was wrong about the assumptions in proc expand. The slope need not be zero. 

Super User

PROC TIMESERIES will also fill in missing time with several options. 

Highlighted
Super User

putteringpluie wrote:

I have census data from 2001 and 2011. I want to interpolate all the variables for the in-between years by simple linear function. I don't want to use proc expand because of its constraint that slope will be zero in the beginning and end values. Any suggestions?

If this is US Census bureau data I would recommend using the annual estimates that are available. I doubt if anything the Census works with actually has an 11-year straight line trend except the year variable.

☑ This topic is solved.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 3 in conversation