BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
putteringpluie
Obsidian | Level 7

I have census data from 2001 and 2011. I want to interpolate all the variables for the in-between years by simple linear function. I don't want to use proc expand because of its constraint that slope will be zero in the beginning and end values. Any suggestions?

proc expand data=have out=want;
by state;
id year;
run;

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Reeza
Super User

PROC REG or a linear regression type models? That's still going to be a hell of a lot of variables and the assumption of constant growth isn't correct either. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Reeza
Super User

PROC REG or a linear regression type models? That's still going to be a hell of a lot of variables and the assumption of constant growth isn't correct either. 

putteringpluie
Obsidian | Level 7

Thank you for such a quick reply. I was wrong about the assumptions in proc expand. The slope need not be zero. 

Reeza
Super User

PROC TIMESERIES will also fill in missing time with several options. 

ballardw
Super User

@putteringpluie wrote:

I have census data from 2001 and 2011. I want to interpolate all the variables for the in-between years by simple linear function. I don't want to use proc expand because of its constraint that slope will be zero in the beginning and end values. Any suggestions?

If this is US Census bureau data I would recommend using the annual estimates that are available. I doubt if anything the Census works with actually has an 11-year straight line trend except the year variable.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

Multiple Linear Regression in SAS

Learn how to run multiple linear regression models with and without interactions, presented by SAS user Alex Chaplin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 3 in conversation