Dear sir,
can you give me an idea about BDC level in sas sales forecasting
Thank you,
raja
9 REPLIES 9
udo_sas
SAS Employee
Dear Raja -
Would you mind to define BDC and to be more specific on your question?

If by any means your are refering to BDC ( Batch Data Communication ), which is used for uploading mass data into SAP system - then the short answer is yes, SAS Forecast Server can be used to forecast data sitting in SAP and transfer the results back. For details I would suggest to get in touch with your local SAS representative.

Regards,
Udo
deleted_user
Not applicable
Thank you Sir,
i didn't understand this question i.e " improved 1.5%sas forecast accuracy at BDC level of food bevarage industry?". so can you please give me this abbrevation of BDC?
Thanks,
raj
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi:
Apparently, another meaning of BDC is "Business Development Company", as mentioned here:

http://www.wall-street.com/venture.html
"Although the term "Business Development Company" (BDC) seems to have arisen in the years following 2000 as a general term to fill the gap in the investment vocabulary, strictly speaking it should apply only to companies which are in compliance with "The Investment Company Act of 1940. Section 54 -- Election to Be Regulated as Business Development Company". What is the difference between a venture capital fund and a business development company? Not much, in terms of risk. A BDC is a private-equity firm which goes public and sells shares in itself. "

http://www.bizjournals.com/washington/stories/2001/07/30/newscolumn2.html BDC = Business Development Company

This may or may not make sense in terms of the question. If this is a SAS certification sample question, then you can post questions to:
http://support.sas.com/certify/contact.html

cynthia
deleted_user
Not applicable
Thank You Sir,
I am giving sample chart, so please give me some idea about BDC from this diagram
2.3.4 Product Dimension Diagram (Dim 2) – All Models
SALES OR FINANCIAL VIEW
ALL PRODUCTION
CATEGORY
BU
CLASS
SIZE
BDC
AND SOME MORE INFO...
'2.5.2 Product Dimension (DIM2)

Sales or Financial View

• AllProd - All products Frito-Lay offers to market. For the Lead Market implementation, only the products active within the Lead Market scope will be defined in the database.
• Category – The highest level product type. Example: Potato Chips, Corn Chips, etc.
• BU – It stands for Business Unit. It is the break down of product categories. Example: Lays Supermarket, Small Size Flex, etc. A BU can only belong to a Category.
• Class – A top level grouping of products. Example: 012 Ruffles.
• Size – The size grouping of products. Example: 021 Supersize.
• BDC – The Class, Size, and Flavor combined. Example: 012/021/034 – Ruffles/Supersize/Salsa ‘n Cheese.
Thanks a lot,
raj
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi:
This makes much more sense. It says right in the description of the dimension (this sounds like an OLAP cube) that

BDC – The Class, Size, and Flavor combined. Example: 012/021/034 – Ruffles/Supersize/Salsa ‘n Cheese.

So however they derived the abbreviated term, to me, it seems to me that they mean something like:
Brand/Class (Ruffles)
Dimension/Size (Supersize)
Characteristics/Flavor (Salsa 'n Cheese)

It also looks like they have a separate Class item and a separate Size item -- but they do not show a separate Flavor item. It might have made more sense if they had made the abbreviation CSF (class/size/flavor) but perhaps that abbreviation was already in use for something else. This sounds like a company-specific term, unrelated to any of the "BDC" possibilities listed above.

In one of your original posts, you said that

this question i.e " improved 1.5%sas forecast accuracy at BDC level of food bevarage industry?".

BDC, in this context, seems to mean a combined variable or code for CLASS, SIZE and FLAVOR combined -- if that knowledge doesn't help you with the original question, then you need to go back to WHERE the question is. If the question is in a text book or a case study, then you should ask your professor to clarify the question. If this is a practice question on one of the SAS certification exams, then you should send mail to the certification folks
http://support.sas.com/certify/contact.html
and ask for more clarification -- they can contact one of the instructors or developers who worked on the exam and find out more pertinent information.

By the way, pictures or images do not post to the forum. So, there was no picture or diagram posted here. If you contact the certification folks for more help, it would be most useful for them to know EXACTLY which exam, which practice module or which question number you need help with. The full text of the question, and/or the page number would probably help as well.

If this is a 3rd party preparation guide or a textbook, you would have to go to those authors for clarification. Is this a SAS publication that you have questions about? Is this a SAS exam or a SAS SPEL (self-paced e-learning) module or a SAS preparation guide that you have a question about??? If this is a white paper by SAS authors or something in the documentation, then you could contact Tech Support for help.

cynthia
deleted_user
Not applicable
Thank you very much,
APPRECIATED,
Raja
deleted_user
Not applicable
Dear Sir,
Can you give me the idea about One comany had SALES DATA WARE HOUSES AND SKU LEVELS AND BDC'S . So may i know approximately the sizes of those types?. I need to the chances of that sizes?.
Thanks,
raja
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Raja:
A SKU number stands for a "stock keeping unit" -- it is generally an internal number used to track merchandise. Sometimes it is shown in bar code form, or sometimes, it is just a number on the price tag or shelf tag (in a grocery store).

What is the context of your question? Is this a question on the certification exam? Is this a question from a case study? One company? What company? What does the data warehouse have to do with the SKU levels and the BDC levels? Without a context for your question, it is very hard to understand what you want to know or what your question really is.

You say you want to know the "sizes of those types" -- what size?? what types?? SKU and BDC??? As for size, do you mean the byte size of the variable for SKU? the byte size of the variable for BDC?? The overall size of the data warehouse? The size of the company? What are the "chances of the sizes" being used for? This could be one company that sells only 2 or 3 products. It could be a global company that sells thousands of products. Without context, any answer would be no better than a guess.

It is unclear what your question is related to or how SAS and/or SAS Forecasting are involved.

cynthia
deleted_user
Not applicable
Thanks,
koti raja,
Here my company has one datawarehouse i.e TDS(Total Dollor Sales) and 630 BDCs of North America sales data. If maintain BDC then do i know sku here?.
Thanks,
koti

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

Multiple Linear Regression in SAS

Learn how to run multiple linear regression models with and without interactions, presented by SAS user Alex Chaplin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation