Forecasting using SAS Forecast Server, SAS/ETS, and more

getting started with SEVERITY

Accepted Solution Solved
Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

getting started with SEVERITY

Hello,

Proc Severity, an experimental proc in ETS, sounds like the answer to my prayers, but I am stuck at the outset with what seems like a very simple error message.  I am trying to run the example given in the documentation, simply:

proc severity data=spilldat;

model spill / crit = aicc;

run;

where spill is a variable in the data.  Although the proc begins to run, the immediate error message in the log is:

errror 180-322: statement is not valid or it is used out of order

Please advise. (I have ETS as part of 9.3 TS level 1M1 on Windows 7.)

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎04-24-2012 01:29 PM
Respected Advisor

Re: getting started with SEVERITY

That example is from SAS version 9.22. It seems that the syntax was changed in version 9.3 (it IS experimental!)

http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/etsug/63939/HTML/default/viewer.htm#etsug_severity_sect0...

PG

PG

View solution in original post

All Replies
Respected Advisor

This is a typical syntax error message. Looking at the doc, there is no MODEL statement for that proc and the CRIT option belongs in the PROC statement. - PG

PG
Occasional Contributor

Thank you.  The MODEL statement does look peculiar but perhaps that is due to the context being to fit a predefined univariate probability distribution.  However, the example in the documentation on page 1 of "A simple Example of Fitting Predefined Distributions" is clear that "the MODEL statement specifies the variable to be modeled along with the model selection criterion" and I copied the example there exactly (I believe). Can you provide an illustrative little program for proc severity that does not include a MODEL statement?

Solution
‎04-24-2012 01:29 PM
Respected Advisor

That example is from SAS version 9.22. It seems that the syntax was changed in version 9.3 (it IS experimental!)

http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/etsug/63939/HTML/default/viewer.htm#etsug_severity_sect0...

PG

PG
Occasional Contributor

Thanks!!!

☑ This topic is SOLVED.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation