BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
podarum
Quartz | Level 8

Hi, I need some help 'forecasting' or extrapolating fields that I need to use to forecast in proc arima.  So let's say I want to use unemployment rate and GDP to forecast certain prices.  What is the best method to extrapolate the uneployment rate and GDp for the next 12 months so that I can start using them in proc arima?  I am reading that the extrapolate option is not too safe and should be used with caution..  thanks

1 REPLY 1
udo_sas
SAS Employee

Hi -

One approach you might want to consider is to split your forecasting task into 2 steps: first model and predict your independent variables (in your case unemployment rate and GDP) using either the ARIMA, UCM or ESM procedures and then use these predictions when modeling your depended variable (in your case price) using the ARIMA or UCM procedure.

Alternatively you might want to simply extrapolate your independent variables (using a random walk approach for example), include them in your modeling formulation and then do what-if scenarios by changing the future values of your dependent variables and rerun the forecasting model you have come up with.

As a side note: SAS Forecast Server provides these features out-of-the-box.

Hope that helps.

Thanks!

Udo

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

Multiple Linear Regression in SAS

Learn how to run multiple linear regression models with and without interactions, presented by SAS user Alex Chaplin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation