BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
amlan
Calcite | Level 5

Is this procedure holds only for bi variate VAR

http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/etsug/60372/HTML/default/viewer.htm#etsug_varmax_sect037...

proc varmax data=garch;

model y1 y2 / p=1

print=(roots estimates diagnose);

garch q=1;

nloptions tech=qn;

run;

Does the code holds good only for two variables.

I have a data set containing 3 variables which are named as dc, i and e.

When i run the same code for the three variables

proc varmax data=mydata;

model dc i e / p=1

print=(roots estimates diagnose);

garch q=1;

nloptions tech=qn;

The following error message appears on my screen

-------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: The default (METHOD=ML) is used.

ERROR: QUANEW Optimization cannot be completed.

NOTE: QUANEW needs more than 200 iterations or 2000 function calls.

ERROR: Optimization cannot be completed.

NOTE: PROCEDURE VARMAX used (Total process time):

real time           2.19 seconds

cpu time            2.07 seconds

-------------------------------------------------------

Is there any problem with my data , because the same message appears when I use other non linear optimizing techniques provided in  the link below.

http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/etsug/60372/HTML/default/viewer.htm#etsug_nlomet_sect005...

For convenience I am also attaching my data file in excel.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ets_kps
SAS Employee

Hello Amlan,

Thank you for your question.  Actually, I took your file and code and tried it on my 9.4 SAS with 12.3 SAS/ETS and the optimization completed just fine.  My guess is that you are on a previous version of SAS/ETS.

In recent years, the VARMAX routine has received algorithm improvements that greatly enhance optimization.

If you are unable to upgrade to the newest version of SAS you might want to see if you can bump up the iterations and function calls, such as with

nloptions maxiter=500 maxfunc=5000;

Best of luck-Ken

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
ets_kps
SAS Employee

Hello Amlan,

Thank you for your question.  Actually, I took your file and code and tried it on my 9.4 SAS with 12.3 SAS/ETS and the optimization completed just fine.  My guess is that you are on a previous version of SAS/ETS.

In recent years, the VARMAX routine has received algorithm improvements that greatly enhance optimization.

If you are unable to upgrade to the newest version of SAS you might want to see if you can bump up the iterations and function calls, such as with

nloptions maxiter=500 maxfunc=5000;

Best of luck-Ken

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

Multiple Linear Regression in SAS

Learn how to run multiple linear regression models with and without interactions, presented by SAS user Alex Chaplin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation