BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
jaweriahh
Obsidian | Level 7

I have a very simply question about Unobserved Components Model.

I have a data set of 63 years. The data is declining for the entire time period but the slope is stochastic. The parameter of my slope term is negative but the level is positive [in the Trend Information  (Based on the Final State) table]. I can interpret the slope but should the level not be negative if the data is decreasing?

I use the command 

proc ucm data = lan;
      id year interval = year;
      model Eco ;
      irregular ;
      level  variance=0 noest;
      slope ;
      run ;

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
rselukar
SAS Employee

Slope is the rate of change of the level component.  The level component tracks the series pattern.  You say the series is decreasing so the level component will be decreasing and since it is decreasing the slope will be negative.  Series can be decreasing without being negative so the level need not be negative.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
rselukar
SAS Employee

Slope is the rate of change of the level component.  The level component tracks the series pattern.  You say the series is decreasing so the level component will be decreasing and since it is decreasing the slope will be negative.  Series can be decreasing without being negative so the level need not be negative.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

Multiple Linear Regression in SAS

Learn how to run multiple linear regression models with and without interactions, presented by SAS user Alex Chaplin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation