BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
michellekwai
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi everyone, 

I know use minic statement we can get minimum information criterion and best p,q selection by BIC method and also a matrix consists of different combination of AR&MA like below(a part of scrrenshot).

PROC ARIMA DATA= Training;

IDENTIFY VAR = Y(1) MINIC;

RUN;

Quit;

2018-04-23 11_03_06-mimc df1pq12.pdf - Adobe Acrobat Reader 2017.png

The question is that can I get AIC matrix like above?? so I can compare AIC and BIC together? After comparison, I can choose a good selection of p, q and use the selected p,q to forecast loan price after 2018 to 2024. 

And I know scan statement can also give us p,q selection, but how to interpret the selection result? 

2018-04-23 11_08_44-arima scan.pdf - Adobe Acrobat Reader 2017.png

Note: I take d=1, but p+d=0? I think p+d should equal to at least 1, cause d=1. And p+d=11, which means this selection can be p=10, q=0, which arima model is (10,1,0). 

Best, 

Michelle

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
dw_sas
SAS Employee

Hi Michelle,

PROC ARIMA only outputs the BIC when the MINIC option is specified and does not provide an option to generate a matrix of AIC values for the set of candidate models.  Box, Jenkins and Reinsel (1994) provide a good discussion of the algorithm used by the MINIC option in PROC ARIMA.

Regarding your second question, if you are specifying something like:

identify var=y(1) scan;

then the Tentative Order Selection Tests table identifies candidate models for the differenced series.  Any differencing orders that have already been specified in the VAR= option are not included in the (p+d) column of the Tentative Order Selection Tests table.  Based on the table you provided, the final models suggested by the combination of the SCAN option output and the differencing order you already specified in the VAR= option are:  ARIMA(0,1,1) and ARIMA(11,1,0).

Example 7.5 Using Diagnostics to Identify ARIMA Models in the PROC ARIMA documentation provides some additional insight into tentative order selection.  A link to that example is provided below:

http://go.documentation.sas.com/?docsetId=etsug&docsetTarget=etsug_arima_examples05.htm&docsetVersio...

I hope this helps!

DW

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
dw_sas
SAS Employee

Hi Michelle,

PROC ARIMA only outputs the BIC when the MINIC option is specified and does not provide an option to generate a matrix of AIC values for the set of candidate models.  Box, Jenkins and Reinsel (1994) provide a good discussion of the algorithm used by the MINIC option in PROC ARIMA.

Regarding your second question, if you are specifying something like:

identify var=y(1) scan;

then the Tentative Order Selection Tests table identifies candidate models for the differenced series.  Any differencing orders that have already been specified in the VAR= option are not included in the (p+d) column of the Tentative Order Selection Tests table.  Based on the table you provided, the final models suggested by the combination of the SCAN option output and the differencing order you already specified in the VAR= option are:  ARIMA(0,1,1) and ARIMA(11,1,0).

Example 7.5 Using Diagnostics to Identify ARIMA Models in the PROC ARIMA documentation provides some additional insight into tentative order selection.  A link to that example is provided below:

http://go.documentation.sas.com/?docsetId=etsug&docsetTarget=etsug_arima_examples05.htm&docsetVersio...

I hope this helps!

DW

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

Multiple Linear Regression in SAS

Learn how to run multiple linear regression models with and without interactions, presented by SAS user Alex Chaplin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation