Forecasting using SAS Forecast Server, SAS/ETS, and more

Standard Deviation Interpretation of Coefficients

Contributor

Standard Deviation Interpretation of Coefficients

Dear All,

I have done some time series and panel data estimations in SAS by regressing stock returns on an index I constructed. I do not have any trouble carrying out the estimation, but I need some help with a particular interpretation.

I normally know how to interpret my coefficients, but I need to state how much the returns will change in percentages for one standard deviation increase in my index. Below is some background on the variables:

dependent variable: monthly stock returns on a stock market index in percentages (i.e. 6.23 is actually referring to 6.23%).

independent variable: an index on a particular activity.

My question sounds like standardized coefficients issue, but in these cases, the interpretation is something like the following: one standard deviation increase in this index leads to 0.21 standard deviation increase in the returns. This is not really what I need. What I am looking for something like the following: one standard deviation increase in the index leads to 0.47 increase in the returns.

Is there a way to tweak the regression procedure in SAS to obtain the interpretation I need? Or is there a particular way to tweak the coefficients?

I would really appreciate your help with this issue.

Thanks in advance for your time and help.

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 0 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 1 in conversation