Forecasting using SAS Forecast Server, SAS/ETS, and more

Seasonal Factors

Accepted Solution Solved
Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

Seasonal Factors

What have you found to be the best way to determine seasonal patterns in data?

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎07-08-2014 10:53 AM
Super Contributor

Re: Seasonal Factors

Posted in reply to gwcanalytics

I think one statistally right way would be a seasonal Unit-Root-Test:

Proc Arima Data=<Data_Set>;

Identify Var=<Variable> Stationarity=(ADF=(1) DLag=12); /* Augmented Dickey-Fuller-Test with 1 autoregressive term; monthly data */

Identify Var=<Variable> (1) Stationarity=(ADF=(1) DLag=12); /* -"- in 1st differences */

Run;

There are other tests as well (and simpler methods). For example if you have quaterly data and carry out a trend regression you might check the dummy-coefficients for statistical significance.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Trusted Advisor

I think we can't generalize which is the best way but as an initial point, data on a graph can give information about seasonal/cyclic patterns.

Solution
‎07-08-2014 10:53 AM
Super Contributor

I think one statistally right way would be a seasonal Unit-Root-Test:

Proc Arima Data=<Data_Set>;

Identify Var=<Variable> Stationarity=(ADF=(1) DLag=12); /* Augmented Dickey-Fuller-Test with 1 autoregressive term; monthly data */

Identify Var=<Variable> (1) Stationarity=(ADF=(1) DLag=12); /* -"- in 1st differences */

Run;

There are other tests as well (and simpler methods). For example if you have quaterly data and carry out a trend regression you might check the dummy-coefficients for statistical significance.

Super Contributor

Posted in reply to user24feb

P.S.: I guess you are aware that your question is a tricky one. If you ask your question this way, it is almost certain that the respondent puts his/her statistical reputation on the line. :-)

🔒 This topic is solved and locked.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation