Forecasting using SAS Forecast Server, SAS/ETS, and more

Markov Chain Forecasts

Accepted Solution Solved
Contributor
Accepted Solution

Markov Chain Forecasts

Is there a way to implement markov chains models in SAS ( for forecasting purposes using transition matrices as opposed to gibbs sampler MCMC simulations)

I suppose I could define matrices in R or via SAS IML, but I'd hope that there is a PROC that can be exploited for this.

For example see:

http://www.utdallas.edu/ospa/research/Conference%20Presentations/AIR/documents/TimeHorizon.pdf

Thanks

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎07-13-2016 08:16 AM
N/A

Re: Markov Chain Forecasts

Posted in reply to SlutskyFan

There is no out-of-the-box PROC that can build Markov chain forecasts that I know of.  If it's really simple with static transition probabilities, then it could be done in IML.  Alternatively, one can build dynamic Markov models using Base SAS and SAS/STAT...you don't even have to use IML.  Your transition probabilities must be computed using logistic regression.  I build migration models for account delinquency status estimation (stress testing models for the Dodd-Frank Act) using SAS 9.3.  It's lots of coding.  If I can make my code sanitary enough, I'll try to share in the SAS communities.

Andre

View solution in original post

All Replies
Occasional Contributor

From my knowledge, you could implement MC (markov chains) model in proc IML.

I attached an example of code that use SAS to implement MC models in proc IML.

Some options in proc MCMC export posterior sample for other analysis. However i not sure to fully understand your need ?

Solution
‎07-13-2016 08:16 AM
N/A

There is no out-of-the-box PROC that can build Markov chain forecasts that I know of.  If it's really simple with static transition probabilities, then it could be done in IML.  Alternatively, one can build dynamic Markov models using Base SAS and SAS/STAT...you don't even have to use IML.  Your transition probabilities must be computed using logistic regression.  I build migration models for account delinquency status estimation (stress testing models for the Dodd-Frank Act) using SAS 9.3.  It's lots of coding.  If I can make my code sanitary enough, I'll try to share in the SAS communities.

Andre

🔒 This topic is solved and locked.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation