BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
DennisLe
Calcite | Level 5

Hi all,

Appreciate if you could help me with these questions.

When I calculate beta between a stock vs an index. R-square represents how much the index returns explain the stock price returns.

However, if I see a declining/increasing trend in RSQ (Beta could stay unchanged), how could I interpret that trend now?

Now if I calculate RSQ for all index members, sum them together and see a trend, what is the implication from the trend there?

Thank you.

Dennis

3 REPLIES 3
PGStats
Opal | Level 21

Beta, I guess is a linear regression slope. Members, I guess are stocks that make up a market index (a weighted sum). What is RSQ?

PG
rainxi
SAS Employee

My guess is RSQ represents R-Square. 

Did you include more independent variables into or exclude some variables from the model? That may cause the change  in R-Square. 

Are you trying to measure the relationship between variables or to do forecasting?  R-Sqaure measures the goodness-of-fit. If you would like to evaluate the forecasting performance, you may want to do out-of-sample test. Here is a good paper 

L. J. Tashman, “Out-of-sample tests of forecasting accuracy: an analysis and review,” Int. J. Forecast., vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 437–450, 2000.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0169207000000650

Thanks,

Rain

DennisLe
Calcite | Level 5

Yeah, sr I didnt make it clear. RSQ is R-Square.

Totally aware of the concepts but I got some troubles interpreting the results here.

I'm doing 1 factor analysis only so I do not use many variables.

Definitely I want to do forecasting. The issue here is, if I do rolling regression day by day and see a declining trend in R-square. That seems to indicate that my independent (even though the index is not that independent) variable has less and less power in predicting the future price. Hence, what I can think of is, waiting to see when R-square is trending up to decide to reuse the model again.

Thanks for sharing the paper. I'll take a look.

In the meantime, hope someone could help clarify the sum of R-square trending issue.

Dennis

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

Multiple Linear Regression in SAS

Learn how to run multiple linear regression models with and without interactions, presented by SAS user Alex Chaplin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation