BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
FVidal
Fluorite | Level 6

Hello,

I would like to know if there is a method to obtain an ARIMA model that 'simulates' a particular Exponential Smoothing.

The problem is that, in some cases, I get a very good exponential smoothing model and in a particular month I need to add an event.

As far as I know, I can not add events in an ESM. So, then I have to change my model to an ARIMA...and with ARIMA I'm not getting a good model.

The question is: there is a way to obtain an 'equivalent' ARIMA?

Thanks,

Ferran

3 REPLIES 3
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

SImple exponential smoothing is ARIMA (0,1,1), does that help?

Other than that, I find this question is rather vague and lacking in details, as we don't know what exact model you are using, we don't know why you are having trouble matching the exponential smoothing, etc. etc.

--
Paige Miller
FVidal
Fluorite | Level 6

Hello PaigeMiller,

Thanks for you answer.

I find the problem with several models.

In SAS FS we have eight exponential smoothing models, isn't it? You said that Simple Exponential Smoothing is ARIMA (0,1,1).

There are equivalence for all ESM?

Double Exponential Smoothing

Linear Exponential Smoothing

Damped-trend Exponential Smoothing

Seasonal Exponential Smoothing

Multiplicative Seasonal Exponential Smoothing

Winters Method - Additive version

Winters Method - Multiplicative version

Regards,

Ferran

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

I am not aware if there is a difference between what you call "linear exponential smoothing" and "simple exponential smoothing", I think these are the same (but honestly, I have not heard of "linear exponential smoothing")

Double exponential smoothing is ARIMA (0,2,2)

As far as the others go, I'm sure your favorite search engine will find information on your question.

--
Paige Miller

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

Multiple Linear Regression in SAS

Learn how to run multiple linear regression models with and without interactions, presented by SAS user Alex Chaplin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation