BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
kdp
Calcite | Level 5 kdp
Calcite | Level 5
Hello,

I am using Forecast Studio 2.1.

I created several fully-fitted regression model specs in E-Guide and I am trying to use them alongside the ARIMA and ESM models in Forecast Studio.

When I run the project, the ARIMA and ESM models work fine. However, every one of my custom regression models fail. I have no idea why and I don't know where to look.

I have used the same dataset to run the Linear Regression wizard in E-Guide and it works fine, so I know the specs I created should work.

Could anybody provide ideas on why the custom model fails in Forecast Studio?

Thanks,
kdp
5 REPLIES 5
udo_sas
SAS Employee
Hello -
To view the SAS log that SAS Forecast Studio creates when generating the forecast, select Tools -- Log. This might give you a first idea what is going on.

As an idea: if you are using EG to fit regressions models - you are probably running the REG procedure. Note that since this is not a time-domain based procedure it is not supported as a custom model in SAS Forecast Studio.

Having said this, there are ways to fit multiple regression models in SAS Forecast Studio. What it does, though, is running an ARIMA model - leaving out all "ARIMA specfic components" like p,d,q and P,D,Q.
For example:
PROC HPFARIMASPEC
/* Label: Y = CONST + price*/
MODELREPOSITORY = work.temp
SPECNAME=MULTIPLEREGRESSION1
;
FORECAST TRANSFORM = NONE ;
INPUT SYMBOL = price
TRANSFORM = NONE ;
ESTIMATE
METHOD=CLS
CONVERGE=0.0010
MAXITER=50
DELTA=0.0010
SINGULAR=1.0E-7 ;
run;

Hope that helps - you might consider contacting Technical Support of course.

Regards,
Udo
kdp
Calcite | Level 5 kdp
Calcite | Level 5
Thanks for your suggestions Udo!

I followed your example and created the following spec and even this one fails:
Proc HPFARIMASPEC
MODELREPOSITORY = ldp.kdp_rep
SPECNAME=FS_BASEARIMA
SPECLABEL=""
SPECTYPE=ARIMASPEC
SPECSOURCE=FSUI
;

FORECAST SYMBOL = value TRANSFORM = NONE;

INPUT SYMBOL = FS_Arr TRANSFORM = NONE;
INPUT SYMBOL = WH_Arr TRANSFORM = NONE;
INPUT SYMBOL = FSWH_Arr TRANSFORM = NONE;

ESTIMATE
METHOD=CLS
CONVERGE=0.0010
MAXITER=50
DELTA=0.0010
SINGULAR=1.0E-7 ;
run;
Note: My dependent variable is called "value" and "FS_Arr", "WH_Arr", and "FSWH_Arr" are three of my independent variables in the dataset.

It's hard to know why this model fails as well since there are no errors reported in the log.

Thanks,
kdp
kdp
Calcite | Level 5 kdp
Calcite | Level 5
Just figured out why it was failing.

The "FS_Arr" value had zeroes throughout...taking it out of the spec fixed the problem.

However, not sure why this is causing an issue? Shouldn't it just come back with a coefficient of 0?
udo_sas
SAS Employee
Hello -
Frankly speaking I don't know what this is causing the problem. At this stage I would recommend considering to open a track with Technical Support.
Thanks,
Udo
kdp
Calcite | Level 5 kdp
Calcite | Level 5
Thanks Udo! Will look into it.
kdp

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

Multiple Linear Regression in SAS

Learn how to run multiple linear regression models with and without interactions, presented by SAS user Alex Chaplin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation