Desktop productivity for business analysts and programmers

where is fsv fse within an eg instance?

Occasional Contributor

where is fsv fse within an eg instance?

hi, everyone - i prefer and recommend display manager coupled with a good text editor such as hexe.  however, i have a client that is hooked on eg; hence my question.  what is the point-click sequence for fse/fsv within an eg instance?  i am fine opening dm and using there, but, would be nice to do this in eg.  i assume sas was not inept/unkind and just forgot; more likely that i just did not see it.  thank you!  dean

Super User

Re: where is fsv fse within an eg instance?

Posted in reply to twobluecats

Are you referring to the SAS/FSP procedure windows - FSEDIT and FSVIEW? These procedures can only run in a full SAS client installation and so are not available in EG. The replacement is simply the "View Table" feature of EG which can be used in read-only or update mode. There is no equivalent to the one row at a time that FSEDIT provides.

Please bear in mind that Display Manager is now a legacy interface that is simply maintained as is. All improvements are now focused on EG and SAS Studio. 

Occasional Contributor

yes, fsview fsedit typed out.  legacy sounds ill-adviced, if that is, in fact, true.  dm is vastly superior to eg on many levels, in my opinion, although non-programmers (and non-oldtimers!) might not appreciate.  fsv and fse are excellent examples of dm>eg.  (there are others, too; not at all just being an old dog!)

nonetheless, it seems that fsv and fse _could_ be programmed, once the flaws in the eg interface are addressed, such as the ability to open multiple libname windows and float every window.

i did not see a specific sas institute declaration that fsv fse does not exist in eg, nor that it would never exist in eg, so, for now, i absolutely appreciate your opinion, and thank you!  it would be great for a sas inst confirmation, explanation, and justification would also be welcome Smiley Happy

Super User

Posted in reply to twobluecats

There are some useful resources explaining SAS's road map re software interfaces including this one: https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Communities-Library/The-Future-of-SAS-Enterprise-Guide-and-SAS-St...

As you can see from the link there are some major improvements planned for the near future which proves to me that SAS has listened to users' feedback on EG / SAS Studio issues and is doing something about them. Feel free to continue to voice your concerns as well!

I would say the major limitation with EG currently is the lack of multiple tabbed programming windows - you can get two side-by-side but that is about it. The next release will provide "Display Manager" type windowing flexibility plus a lot of other enhancements.

Community Manager

Native to EG - you can put a data set into "Update" mode and enter/override values in each observation.

As an example, we also have a custom task available with a one-record-at-a-time style editor.  Looks like this:

fsedit.jpg

Find it here:

http://support.sas.com/documentation/onlinedoc/guide/customtasks/index.htm

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 3 in conversation