BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
deleted_user
Not applicable
Can any one tell me how to send an email containing report generated in the process flow output through SAS EG
7 REPLIES 7
deleted_user
Not applicable
A search on support.sas.com produced this statement "In SAS Enterprise Guide 4.1, there is a new option, Send to E-mail Recipient as a Step in Project."

The statement is associated with a support note about this process sometimes failing. If it fails, refer again to the support note "SN-V4.1+-017210 "Send Email as a Step in Project" may fail in SAS Enterprise Guide"

Kind regards

David
Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
I use it all the time. The only hitch was that I had to contact my help desk to find out the name of our SMTP mail service (We use Lotus Notes, so things like that are rather opaque to the user).

I actually like it better than opening up steps in various pieces, especially once development is done. The e-mail contains one zip file with everything you selected (can include logs, datasets, as well as results).

Doc
Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
I forgot to mention that the SMTP server is identified under
Tools --> Options --> e-mail settings.
deleted_user
Not applicable
I may need to take my size ten out of my mouth to put the other one in, but the limitation I find with sending email is often a security issue.

To reduce the risk of an email server being used as an open relay, they are often configured to only accept email under certain circumstances. My email server allows me to enforce username and password authentication before the mail is accepted, and I can also restrict email sending to one or more ip addresses on the domain. Which I do, as well as switch from the usual SMTP port and block that port at the internet router.

Coupled with other restrictions I have in place on the network, I can then limit the risk of my server being hijacked by one of the swarm of unwashed spam authors. However, for larger institutions, especially educational ones, the risk may be too high and knowing the name and port of the SMTP server may not be enough. Many clients I have worked with have flatly declined to allow SMTP access to anything except a duly authenticated email client of "brand X", from an IP address registered as active, sent by a user authenticated by active directory.

The consequence for users of foundation SAS is that the server, username and password need to be provided in the SAS config file before batch sending of emails will work. And the foot goes in my mouth because I don't know if EG has a similar requirement. Sending via a server under Management console may be less of an issue because usernames and passwords are encoded into the user manager and are thus more secure than a plain text file on the users computer.

Kind regards

David
deleted_user
Not applicable
what settings i have to do in SAS Management Console for SMTP
deleted_user
Not applicable
I have done all the settings in EG.
After doing that i am getting this error in EG log saying that

ERROR: Bad email address: xyz@abc.com
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
At this point, you really need to contact SAS Technical Support. So much of what you're doing depends on your particular site configuration.
http://support.sas.com/techsup/contact/index.html

cynthia

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation