Hello expert,

I would like to get from you

- the avantage of prompt on sas EG

- the disavantages of prompt on sas EG

Thank you

3 REPLIES 3
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
According to what? What is your requirement?
Data never sleeps
ballardw
Super User

I'm going to make a general observation that may help.

Since a Prompt is user entered text the advantage is that the user gets to enter what he wants (he thinks) and can be flexible.

The disadvantages are all related to how and what is entered that is not expected. You may expect a single value such as 2, the users enter multiple values such as1 2 3 or attempt to enter a range "1 to 3" or "1 - 3". Or the value should be numeric but users enter $45 (they think it is numeric but the $ isn't expected) or entering words. There are many permutations of this behavior.

So who ever writes the program code needs to add either constraints on what can be entered or check the values after entering for validity. Then provide nice feedback about the values entered don't work.

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
I just want to add that prompts are of different types. Wich means that basic validation can take place, like selecting a date from a calendar, of chose from a predefined set of valid values.
Data never sleeps

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation