09-27-2013 02:05 PM
Hi Guys - if someone can please tell me what is the limits (no. of the records) of sas eg on ROWS and COLUMNS to export/import from/withing excel (.xls or .xlsx) if i am using sas eg 4.1, 4.2, 4.3 and 5.1...
09-27-2013 02:23 PM
It is not just the SAS or Eguide that is playing a role. Also:
- 32-64 office/Excel and/or SAS.
- Used devicedrivers (possible hidden)
Is this just an informative question or a real life issue to solve?
09-27-2013 03:52 PM
With 32-bit systems you need to look at the 2Gb-limit. It will be possible lower.
Older Excel 2007 file types are limited to the 64k Limit on number on rows and 256 colums. Hmm 2010 changed that. See:
SAS/ACCESS(R) 9.4 Interface to PC Files: Reference (Microsoft Excel Workbook Files) it has a chapter on them
The ACE en Jet engine are mentioned to have the limitation of 255 cols.
So don't use Jet/ACE that is the xlsx format as essential being a XML file. That is changed with eguide 5.1. The addin can be propagated 4.3
Confusing isn't it.
09-27-2013 04:50 PM
i have found this...so far...but not sure if eg handle same as well...
09-28-2013 04:14 AM
I am looking to your question. Im a little bit different thinking to find the information.
It is the file-type supplier/standard that is:
- Microsoft / Excel, eg at: Excel specifications and limits - Excel - Office.com
- Microsoft XLS file-type ACE/JET.
Data Source Information Properties (OLE DB Jet Provider) it is de DBPROP_MAXINDEXSIZE being limited to 255
All office interfaces (Access / Word) are mentinoning this column limit with no adjusment.
The reserved Words: List of Microsoft Jet 4.0 reserved words
- OASIS ODF v1.2 for those XLSX types entry at Standards | OASIS (opendocument V1.2)
In this specification you find no limits. It are many files in a zip-file. The contents are XML-files. Yes this is about XLSX Excel interface.
- Excel has his own limits while running. This is version dependant. (MS)
- The default interfaces as of ACE/JET are limiting to 255 columns. (MS)
- The old XLS file-types have limations of the old Excel versions. (MS)
- The new XLSX file-type has no fixed limitation. (Zipped file with xml files) (Oasis)
The one that is most restrictive at a moment is the one that counts