BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
ak2
Calcite | Level 5 ak2
Calcite | Level 5

Hi! In eg 7 12, the columns in the 'Output Data' tab do not display all the text in the column headers. I have some tables with very long column names (and many columns), and in order to see the name of the column I need to hover above the column name. Or I can click and drag to make the width of the column bigger sutch that I can read the name.

I tried tools->options->data->performance-> The width for character based columns should be: set to 255 bytes. Didn't help.

In the version we had before that, this was not a problem. Can anyone please help me with this? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Damo
SAS Employee

Hi ak2,

Not sure if you are still looking for an answer, but here is one.

1st, you talked about the Tools->options->data->performance-> The width for character based columns should be option

This is actually not relevant to the column width, as per the doc (see below).

Setting data schema options

• The longest value found within the data - sets the column width to the actual maximum column width of the longest data value when you read a data file that is used to create a SAS data set. If you do not select this option, the default column width is set to 255 bytes. This option affects how Microsoft Excel, HTML, and text files are saved to a SAS data set. This option does not affect how data is displayed in the data grid.

If you want to control the column width, you can select multiple columns in the data grid and click Edit->Columns->Width.

You have to specify a pixel value.

Unfortunately, these settings do not stick when you close and reopen the table.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Cheers,

Damo

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Damo
SAS Employee

Hi ak2,

Not sure if you are still looking for an answer, but here is one.

1st, you talked about the Tools->options->data->performance-> The width for character based columns should be option

This is actually not relevant to the column width, as per the doc (see below).

Setting data schema options

• The longest value found within the data - sets the column width to the actual maximum column width of the longest data value when you read a data file that is used to create a SAS data set. If you do not select this option, the default column width is set to 255 bytes. This option affects how Microsoft Excel, HTML, and text files are saved to a SAS data set. This option does not affect how data is displayed in the data grid.

If you want to control the column width, you can select multiple columns in the data grid and click Edit->Columns->Width.

You have to specify a pixel value.

Unfortunately, these settings do not stick when you close and reopen the table.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Cheers,

Damo

ak2
Calcite | Level 5 ak2
Calcite | Level 5

Hi!

I knew about the trix you suggested, and I guess my problem lies out of our reach. I think we'll just close the case.

Thank you for replying.

Haris
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

It would be nice if SAS could add an option for the user to control the default column width in the data viewer.  The current default is too narrow in my opinion.

Even better, make it work like Excel: when you highlight multiple columns and double-click on the horizontal double-ended arrow in the column headers, each column snaps to the widest entry in that column!  NICE!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation