BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
sas_9
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi Friends - we are using SAS 9.1 on windows and when submitting x command in EG getting below warning message.

WARNING: Shell escape is not valid in this SAS session. We have troubleshoot available for 9.2 or later o google but didn't find for 9.1...

how to do it? - please help!

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomKari
Onyx | Level 15

Well, you have two options:

1. Convince your admin to allow x commands; don't be surprised if the answer's "no".

2. Get your bat files working, and use the Enterprise Guide facilities to send your email (I haven't used it, but you can send emails as part of an EG project).

That's about all you've got, I'm afraid.

Tom

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
TomKari
Onyx | Level 15

If you're using the SAS software instance on your PC (check that the profile indicator bottom right of your EG screen says "No profile selected"), you can supply an -xcmd parameter in your sas configuration file.

If you're using a profile, which means you're using a SAS instance on a server, the use of x commands is prohibited by default. This is because breaking out to an O/S shell gives you the ability to mess up the server for all of the users.

Your options are limited. You can request that the prohibition be lifted, but I never say yes when people request it from me. Or you can find a way inside of SAS to accomplish what you need. What are you trying to do with your x command?

Tom

sas_9
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi Tom -

Thanks for your information. I am trying to copy some mdb files from SAS prod server to some share drives for some users. We are having bat file which does this task but its not performing well for some reason so i want to use x command in EG 4.1 with SAS 9.1.3 and i also wants to set up email alert with SAS code rather than BAT code just in case if transfer doesn't happen...

Thanks!

jakarman
Barite | Level 11

Sandy,

When you are asking about SAS PC 9.1.3 remember this is MS-XP bound as is SAS EG 4.1 with .Net 1.1

As it is a local-server definition int the Windows registry it can be changed there. it is rather old. 2009...

Using the X and SYSTASK commands from SAS Enterprise Guide - The SAS Dummy

What you can do with that is using that bat file from  SAS. But as you have problems with that performance (firewalls? network?) it will not improve that.

I would advise to use the pipe command for x-processing. It starts and catches output (being synchronized processing). By that you can trigger an email

For email usage in batch with Eguide yuo should use SMTP as the default of EGUIDE is processing to your local machine mail-program.

---->-- ja karman --<-----
TomKari
Onyx | Level 15

Well, you have two options:

1. Convince your admin to allow x commands; don't be surprised if the answer's "no".

2. Get your bat files working, and use the Enterprise Guide facilities to send your email (I haven't used it, but you can send emails as part of an EG project).

That's about all you've got, I'm afraid.

Tom

sas_9
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks Tom and Jaap.

I will check on both options....

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 3 in conversation