Desktop productivity for business analysts and programmers

Using prompts and calculations as query limits - how?

Accepted Solution Solved
Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

Using prompts and calculations as query limits - how?

Hi all,

Relatively new SAS EG 4.3 user, as our enterprise just switched from Hyperion. I'm LOVING the functionality EG provides.

I have a simple query with one table. I'm going to simplify the build below for purposes of explanation.

TABLE 1

Field 1

Date 1

Dollar Amount 1

Row Insert Effective Date

Row Insert Expiration Date

What I want to be able to do is build a query that brings back the value in 'Dollar Amount 1' at a certain point in time (we call this 'time traveling' in our analytics group). Our datamart allows for this by manipulating the values in the Row Insert fields.

I have successfully run this query by using this limit:

Row Insert Effective Date = Date 1 + 30 (or 60, or 90, or...)

But ideally, in order to create a template query, I want to have a prompt called "NumberOfDays", which is set to be an integer between 0 and 365. Then my limit would be:

Row Insert Effective Date = Date 1 + NumberOfDays

I get an error when I try to use this prompt within a limit calculation. The error is "ERROR 22-322: Syntax error, expecting one of the following: a name, a quoted string, a numeric constant, a datetime constant, a missing value, BTRIM, INPUT, PUT, SUBSTRING, USER."

Am I stuck hard-coding this with the actual number of days, or is there just a syntax issue when using a prompt within a calculation in a query limit?

Thanks all!

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎10-11-2012 11:31 AM
Occasional Contributor

Re: Using prompts and calculations as query limits - how?

I ended up finding the solution in another topic thread. What I failed to do was go into the query options and register the prompt in the Query Options. Once I did that it prompted me for the value and the plugged that value into my limit calculation.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Community Manager

Are you using the prompt for a filter?  If so, then be sure to check the box "Generate filter for a prompt value" on the Filter definition window.  That will generate the appropriate syntax (%eg_whereparam) that will "unwrap" the prompt value from its macro format into a value that's good for the query.

Chris

Solution
‎10-11-2012 11:31 AM
Occasional Contributor

I ended up finding the solution in another topic thread. What I failed to do was go into the query options and register the prompt in the Query Options. Once I did that it prompted me for the value and the plugged that value into my limit calculation.

🔒 This topic is solved and locked.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 2 in conversation