BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Salas
Calcite | Level 5

We're doing some ETL that involves the capture of data from our mainframe (mf) platform ( IBM MVS/OS ).

From SAS EG, (v7.1) we're able to read mf flat files on disk, vsam files and mf SAS libraries without

any problem.  This tells me that we have the SAS modules in place to connect and communicate

with the mf. However, we can't seem to read in a file on tape.  The error messages implies that the

tap is not mounted:

ERROR: SVC99 error rc=4, reason=0218 : IKJ56221I DATA SET PACUCOM.AUTO.PREM2005.JAN0207 NOT ALLOCATED, VOLUME NOT

AVAILABLE+IKJ56221I VOLUME  NECESSARY TO SATISFY YOUR REQUEST NOT ON SYSTEM, AND CANNOT BE MOUNTED.

ERROR: Error in the FILENAME statement.

We continue get this message, even though a mainframe jobs has mounted this same tape.  I'm wondering if the

syntax, in the "filename statement", is correct:

filename AUTOS 'PACUCOM.AUTO.PREM2005.JAN0207' DISP=SHR;

We appreciate any suggestions that you can offer.

Thank you very much,

Darry

2 REPLIES 2
AnnaBrown
Community Manager

Hi Salas,

I moved your question to the Enterprise Guide community in hopes experts there will help you out.

Thanks for your post!

Anna

Join us for SAS Community Trivia
SAS Bowl XXIX, The SAS Hackathon
Wednesday, March 8, 2023, at 10 AM ET | #SASBowl

SASKiwi
PROC Star

Your syntax looks OK for disk files. My suspicion is that the FILENAME allocation is not waiting long enough for the tape to be mounted. Are these disk datasets being recalled from tape backup or are they tape only?

If they are tape only then you might need to use some of these options:

filename mytape 'prod.data' vol=myvol unit=tape label=(2,SL);

If they are originally disk files then recall them from tape first before using your filename.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation