BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
suryavb
Calcite | Level 5

I am trying to access data from WRDS using SAS/CONNECT.

The code I type into my program is:

%let wrds=wrds.wharton.upenn.edu 4016;
options comamid=TCP remote=WRDS;
signon username=_prompt_;

The errors returned are:

ERROR: The _PROMPT_ value for USERID or PASSWORDoption is only valid if a TERMINAL is attached to this SAS session.

ERROR: Remote signon canceled.

This error seems to be caused by the fact that I am in Enterprise Guide. I cannot access the plugin menu for some reason, and cannot change the settings on my Server Manager as a result. What steps do I need to take in order for me to access the data?

4 REPLIES 4
ChrisBrooks
Ammonite | Level 13

When you're using SAS/CONNECT within Enterprise Guide you can't use the same prompt window that you could from "old school SAS". Paragraph III of this paper http://analytics.ncsu.edu/sesug/2013/CC-22.pdf shows you how to prompt for a password (or any other parameter you wish to use).

suryavb
Calcite | Level 5

I'm sorry, I made a mistake in my original post. I don't believe I have SAS Enterprise Guide - I have SAS 3.2 for Single User. Is there an answer for my question assuming this is the software I have?

ChrisBrooks
Ammonite | Level 13

I think you must mean SAS Studio 3.2 as PC SAS 3.2 would be ancient. If that is the case then I don't believe it's possible to use SAS/CONNECT from SAS Studio. I've never used WRDS but if there is some sort of web API you may be able to retrieve the data with Proc HTTP otherwise I think you might have to download it outside of SAS.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

Check your licence to see if SAS/CONNECT is included: proc setinit noalias; run;

I'd give the SIGNON a try anyway with the USERNAME and PASSWORD options.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation