Desktop productivity for business analysts and programmers

Using PC SAS/CONNECT for WRDS

New Contributor

Using PC SAS/CONNECT for WRDS

I am trying to access data from WRDS using SAS/CONNECT.

The code I type into my program is:

%let wrds=wrds.wharton.upenn.edu 4016;
options comamid=TCP remote=WRDS;
signon username=_prompt_;

The errors returned are:

ERROR: The _PROMPT_ value for USERID or PASSWORDoption is only valid if a TERMINAL is attached to this SAS session.

ERROR: Remote signon canceled.

This error seems to be caused by the fact that I am in Enterprise Guide. I cannot access the plugin menu for some reason, and cannot change the settings on my Server Manager as a result. What steps do I need to take in order for me to access the data?

Frequent Contributor

Re: Using PC SAS/CONNECT for WRDS

When you're using SAS/CONNECT within Enterprise Guide you can't use the same prompt window that you could from "old school SAS". Paragraph III of this paper http://analytics.ncsu.edu/sesug/2013/CC-22.pdf shows you how to prompt for a password (or any other parameter you wish to use).

New Contributor

I'm sorry, I made a mistake in my original post. I don't believe I have SAS Enterprise Guide - I have SAS 3.2 for Single User. Is there an answer for my question assuming this is the software I have?

Frequent Contributor

I think you must mean SAS Studio 3.2 as PC SAS 3.2 would be ancient. If that is the case then I don't believe it's possible to use SAS/CONNECT from SAS Studio. I've never used WRDS but if there is some sort of web API you may be able to retrieve the data with Proc HTTP otherwise I think you might have to download it outside of SAS.

Respected Advisor

Check your licence to see if SAS/CONNECT is included: proc setinit noalias; run;

I'd give the SIGNON a try anyway with the USERNAME and PASSWORD options.

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation