Desktop productivity for business analysts and programmers

Using EG 4.2 - how to extract 1st 3 digits from numeric column?

Accepted Solution Solved
Frequent Contributor
Accepted Solution

I have a numeric column "ACCTID" defined as length 16, example value 3508777719876543.  I want to extract the 1st 3 digits from the value and create a new column with it's contents.  I have created a computed column named "ACCTID_3" using the following advanced expression:

(SUBSTR(PUT(t1.ACCTID, BEST.),1,3)) and my result is 3.5  (the result I want is 350) ((I don't care if the result is numeric or character)

In the advanced edit window, on page 2 of 3 titled "Modify Additional Options", the column type is defined as numeric, with 'none' for the format.

I have changed this to column type 'character' and it does not like it.  Can you please tell me what I am doing wrong?  Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎12-14-2011 04:38 PM
Contributor

Sorry ... I meant force it for the output on the screen where it asked if you want Character or Numeric. 

Select Character and set the format to $8.  Setting the format should be enough.

You don't have to set the length -leave it blank.

Change your original calculation back to thisSmiley FrustratedUBSTR(PUT(t1.ACCOUNT_ID, 8.),1,3)

View solution in original post

All Replies
Contributor

Try this instead:

(SUBSTR(PUT(t1.ACCTID, 8.),1,3))

and set the format to $8. or make it a character.  A character value will not insert the decimal point. 

000_EG_get_prefix.png

Tricia

SAS BI Notes

Frequent Contributor

I am using SAS EG 4.2, our screens are a bit different so we must not be on the same release.  I am still getting the decimal. No matter what I change the column format to, it makes it numeric. 

On the 2nd screen "Modify additional properties", I give the column & alias name and under 'column type' there are radio buttons for either Character or Numeric.  I am chosing 'character'.   On the 3rd screen, it still interprets it as numeric.  When I hit the 'back' key and return to the 2nd screen, the radio button that I had set to 'character' has gone back to 'numeric. 

Here is the code generated (on 3rd screen)

Alias: TP_NAME_ACCTID_3

Column: TP_NAME_ACCTID_3

Type: Numeric            <=== shows as numeric even when I set the column type to character

Format: None

Length: Default

Summary: None

Expression:

(SUBSTR(PUT(t1.ACCOUNT_ID, 8.),1,3))

My result is still coming as 3.5

I was going to send screen shots and couldn't figure out how to copy & paste them in the body of this as you did above. 

I can accomplish this in Oracle Sql but I am new to SAS and I just can't get it to work!

Contributor

Try setting the format to $8. to force the character. Mine would only do it when I added the format.

Frequent Contributor

Changed to format $8

Error generated in SAS EG:

19 (SUBSTR(PUT(t1.ACCOUNT_ID, $8.),1,3)

20 ) LENGTH=3 AS TP_ADDR_ACCTID_3

21 FROM ORACLDS.ADDRESS AS t1

22 WHERE t1.SOURCE_ID = 5 AND t1.HISTORY_FLAG = 'N'

23 ORDER BY t1.ENTITY_ID, t1.ADDRESS_ID;

ERROR: Character format $ in PUT function requires a character argument.

ERROR: Character format $ in PUT function requires a character argument.

Solution
‎12-14-2011 04:38 PM
Contributor

Sorry ... I meant force it for the output on the screen where it asked if you want Character or Numeric. 

Select Character and set the format to $8.  Setting the format should be enough.

You don't have to set the length -leave it blank.

Change your original calculation back to thisSmiley FrustratedUBSTR(PUT(t1.ACCOUNT_ID, 8.),1,3)

☑ This topic is SOLVED.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation