Desktop productivity for business analysts and programmers

Use the results of a Pass Through query in another Pass Through query

Contributor

Re: Use the results of a Pass Through query in another Pass Through query

Thanks Patrick,

Would you be able to apply this to my current script?

Thanks

Respected Advisor

Posted in reply to OscarBoots2

@OscarBoots2 Which script? The one you've posted initially....

select distinct
A.ID

from QUERY A
LEFT JOIN QUERY_NEXT B
ON A.ID = B.ID

...is actually rather "useless" and likely wasteful as it will return exactly the same result like...

select distinct a.id from query a

All the temp table stuff is not required for what I'm proposing.

Can I suggest you post a sample of your two tables in Oracle (just make up some SAS tables posting some SAS data step code which contains the key columns and a few additional variables, give us an idea of the actual rows per table, the relationship between the tables and describe the desired result.

Contributor

Hi Patrick,

I've found that I don't have access to create temp tables but I have read that I can create a SAS Macro that will create the 60K recordset I want to use in a Pass Through.

Does a Macro work with your solution?

Highlighted
Respected Advisor

Posted in reply to OscarBoots2

OscarBoots2 wrote:

Hi Patrick,

I've found that I don't have access to create temp tables but I have read that I can create a SAS Macro that will create the 60K recordset I want to use in a Pass Through.

Does a Macro work with your solution?

@OscarBoots2 That depends on what the macro does.

One possible approach when trying to retrieve a rather small subset of records from a big DB table based on a set of ID's in a SAS table: You get this data out of the DB with multiple queries and in each queries you've got simply a where clause with the IN operator and a list of ID values - and you generate this list of course dynamically.

I've seen SAS macros for this but actually I believe that's what SAS option DBMASTER does for you as well. You just need to formulate your SQL for this in the SAS SQL flavour (no explicit pass-through) and the SAS Access engine for Oracle should then generate the code for you and send it to the database.

If using implicit pass-through (SQL in SAS syntax) then also use below option as this will show you in the SAS log what SQL SAS actually sends to Oracle for execution.

options sastrace=',,,d' sastraceloc=saslog;

Now having said all of the above: If all the tables are already in Oracle then there shouldn't be any reason to first pull some subset into SAS. I'm not sure why you believe that it's a sub-query which creates performance issues for you. If formulated the right way and the sub-query resolves to a rather low number of records then there is actually a good chance that such data gets loaded into a hash (memory) in Oracle for further processing. 

When trying to find the bottleneck with Oracle queries then I'm normally using SQL Developer to get my Oracle syntax right (= no SAS involved). Once that works I then copy/paste the code into SAS (explicit pass-through). This allows me to separately tweak the Oracle query and the data transfer from Oracle to SAS and makes it much easier to determine where the bottleneck is.

Contributor

Thanks Patrick,

The reason I believe that the subquery is not an option for me is purely due to many tests, include it & it takes ages & crashes, exclude it & it takes a short while & works.

I'm also using Oracle TOAD for testing & I've found that I don't have create table access in TOAD but I can create tables in EG. Otherwise If I had create table access in TOAD, I'd just use TOAD for the whole task.

The best idea I've heard so far is to use a temp table that the Pass Through will recognize, I will just need to get the code adapted to SAS EG.

I did have a look at your article on the link, thank you, it seems to find the largest table of a group of tables, but I must be missing something as to how it will it help here.

Appreciate your patience & assistance anyway.

Cheers Peter 

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 34 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 4 in conversation