BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager
The Enterprise Guide team has made available two new tasks to transfer SAS data set files between your PC and a SAS server.

You can download the new tasks from:
http://www.sas.com/apps/demosdownloads/setupcat.jsp?cat=SAS+Enterprise+Guide

Background
When SAS Enterprise Guide is installed on a PC without a locally installed SAS server, you cannot save SAS data files on the local machine in SAS data set format (sas7bdat).

SAS Enterprise Guide can read local SAS data sets without the use of a locally installed SAS server, but it relies on the SAS server to write SAS data sets. When SAS Enterprise Guide analyzes local data by using a remote server, it reads the data by using the SAS OLEDB Local Data Provider and writes the records into a data set in the WORK library on the remote server.

New tasks to streamline the process
In order to move data between the local PC and the remote SAS server, there are now two file transfer tasks to download and upload SAS data sets. These tasks capture the upload and download operations as steps within your project flow, so that they can be repeated each time your project is run.

Enjoy!
Chris
It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
10 REPLIES 10
prholland
Fluorite | Level 6
Chris,

I hope you don't mind me advertising your 2 new custom tasks for EG 4.1 in the latest issue of VIEWS News, which can be dowloaded via the Newsletter link on the home page of the VIEWS web site:
http://www.views-uk.org

The article in the newsletter also includes a link to these User Forums.

I'm looking forward to seeing more custom tasks here.

Thanks in advance......Phil
tim_bi
Calcite | Level 5
Chris,

Thanks for making this available. Is there any plan for adding some utility to enable users to easily create custom tasks? I realize Visual Studio can be used for that purpose, but most SAS users are not that familiar with that and other IDE tools.

Thank you,
Tim
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager
Tim,

Currently, the only way to create custom tasks is to use our .NET APIs -- that means Visual Studio for most folks.

In the future we might try to make this process easier for folks who simply want to surface their parameterized SAS programs, similar to a stored process. But there are no concrete plans yet. I invite you to submit your suggestion via the tech support page.

Chris
It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
Victor
Calcite | Level 5
Hello

We are migrating Enterprise Guide from 4.1 to 4.2. Some of users have installed Download/Upload Custom Task.

Is there any plan to migrate these 2 custom tasks to Enterprise Guide 4.2 ?
If not, can we have the source code to migrate it by our selves ?

Thanks
Technolero
Pyrite | Level 9
Those tasks are now built in to 4.2 - they are under the Tasks --> Data menu.
Victor
Calcite | Level 5
Oh, I should have look at the menus in Guide 4.2 before asking my question.

Thank's Anyway
Rah
Calcite | Level 5 Rah
Calcite | Level 5

Hello!

I am using the EG 4.2, is there a way to perform this task programatically? That is, Upload/Download SAS Data Sets using SAS Code.

Thank you!

Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

A couple of ways come to mind.

1) if you can map the local drive from the server (or know the UNC name), you can use LIBNAMES and PROC COPY.

2) if you local administrators will enable the X command in SAS, you can use the OS copy procedures to move the files.

Doc Muhlbaier

Duke

RogerSpeas
SAS Employee

You note the UPLOAD uses the SAS OLEDB local data provider.  

Q1: Is the OLEDB provider dependent on the bitness of the SAS table?  Supposing the providers are different, 32/64 and are dependent on the bitness of the SAS table...if one installs EG32 or EG64 (no local SAS) are both the SAS OLE32 and OLE64 data providers installed? 

Q2: If  a SAS table is loaded from one OS, Windows, to another OS, Unix...will the table be migrated so the cross-platform engine on the Unix server would need be utitlized (32 migrates to 64).  (I might  surmise that if the OLEDB driver is being used, the SAS table is not going through a simple binary/ftp transfer)

Thanks

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

Wow @RogerSpeas, you win the award for updating the oldest thread this week! (This post was originally from 2007.)

To answer your question, the OLE DB provider is not a factor during the Upload or Download.  In the original post, I just wanted to point out that when you don't use the Upload task, you can still read local data set files with EG and EG will transfer those records to SAS as needed -- but it's slow.  The Upload task makes the transfer a faster operation -- using a binary FTP-like transfer.

After Upload, the task checks to see if the data set encoding matches that of the SAS session and if it doesn't, it runs a DATA step to fix it up.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 like
  • 8 in conversation