BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Rok
Calcite | Level 5 Rok
Calcite | Level 5

I would like to use Enterprise Guide to transfer the value of a macro variable on the remote metadata server into a macro variable on the local server. I connect to the metadata server via EG’s connection profile (i.e. I do not explicitly initiate a SAS/CONNECT session).

I know this can be done by:

• saving the macro variable’s value into a SAS dataset on the remote server;
  • using EG’s “Download data files to PC…” task to download the dataset;
  • using CALL SYMPUT to save the value to a macro variable in the local session.

This does not feel like an elegant solution, though. Could anyone suggest a better one? Ideally using this solution would not require the user to re-enter the user name and password since they are already saved in EG’s connection profile.

Many thanks!

Regards, Rok

3 REPLIES 3
Reeza
Super User
In Base we can use %syslput and %sysrput, not sure if that's valid here though.
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Interesting question. Unfortunately I can't think of a better solution as EG treats the sessions to which it connects as entirely separate even if they are in the same EG connection profile so the only way to share information between them is via SAS datasets.

If EG and SAS server connections worked in a more ansynchronous manner like the way you can use SAS/CONNECT with PC SAS I suspect this would be possible but until then I suspect you will have to live with how you do it now.

Patrick
Opal | Level 21

EG tasks which allow to pipe data and macro variables directly from one EG session to another would actually be quite a nice extension to current EG functionality. 

You could post this as an idea https://communities.sas.com/t5/SASware-Ballot-Ideas/idb-p/sas_ideas

I'll vote it up.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation