BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
deleted_user
Not applicable
Is there a way to have all off you data set's 'real time' summed up in the log.

I am trying to see how long a process takes and i have about 20 different data steps. I was wondering if there was a way for SAS to add up each of data step real processing times.
8 REPLIES 8
deleted_user
Not applicable
options stimer;

puts into the log after a block (data step, proc ..., whatever) the following kind of statistics

NOTE: DATA statement used (Total process time):
real time 1:10.08
user cpu time 0.01 seconds
system cpu time 0.01 seconds

At the end of the program is

NOTE: The SAS System used:
real time 32.80 seconds
user cpu time 1.37 seconds
system cpu time 0.76 seconds Message was edited by: Chuck
deleted_user
Not applicable
for some reason it doesnt appear to be working. it still isnt giving me the cumulative total

27 options stimer;
29 data test;
31 a=1;
33 run;

NOTE: The data set WORK.TEST has 1 observations and 1 variables.
real time 0.00 seconds
cpu time 0.00 seconds

35 data test2;
37 a=1;
39 run;

NOTE: The data set WORK.TEST2 has 1 observations and 1 variables.
real time 0.01 seconds
cpu time 0.01 seconds
deleted_user
Not applicable
Sorry,

OPTIONS STIMER FULLSTIMER;

is needed then to get the same as my sample output.
I always use the combination of two, but thought that FULLSTIMER only added a memory consumption metric. Message was edited by: Chuck
deleted_user
Not applicable
I must be doing something wrong, it is still not totalling all data times.
deleted_user
Not applicable
That's because the "SAS System used..." statistics aren't calculated or displayed until the SAS session closes.

Unless you issue an endsas statement after the last step in your EG session, the server SAS session will still be there. I seem to recall this has some consequences you may want to explore carefully.
JohnH
Fluorite | Level 6
Paper 219-30, "Programmatically Measure SAS® Application Performance On Any Computer Platform With the New LOGPARSE SAS Macro", might be helpful.
deleted_user
Not applicable
While I use SAS EG extensively for adhoc analysis. I program SAS directly with notepad for scheduled "production" batch processes (Windows SAS server -- used to use vi for when I had a Unix SAS server).

One of my wishes for SAS EG is that it allow for multiple concurrent projects without having to start up another SAS EG instance. The problem here is that SAS EG, like the SAS IDE (interactive tool), open a SAS session on a server and hangs onto it, which I find to more annoying than helpful. I would have thought that the "Interactive" tool would have submitted SAS code in the background, and that EG would have used SAS/CONNECT features to rsubmit requests to a server, which when done would then end the remote's session. I would have thought that EG would have cached some information locally, and since by default all the output went to SASUSER, it would be easily brought back a piece at a time, without worrying that WORK space had disappeared. But, oh well.

The fact that EG opens a session and hangs onto it causes me grief with table locks. If someone is sloppy and leaves for the night without closing out of EG, that can end up locking a dataset, preventing an overnight batch process from being able to update it! I know there are "workarounds" with options and human procedures, but it violates the original SAS idea of making life easier for the average user.
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
My original response was overtaken by Chuck's answer. If you want to improve the performance of specific steps in the process, this is where investigating efficiency techniques could be useful.
cynthia

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation