BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Strange_Attractor
Calcite | Level 5
I have a macro which, among other functions, can write a text file (using PUT statements) that describes the parameters and their syntax. I developed it using plain ol' Windows-based SAS (v 9.1.2) and it worked fine. However, now that I'm running it under EG, the text file is only about 5 rows long - there are square-like characters indicating where line feeds should be.

I can't find relevant KnowledgeBase articles or documentation to help determine what change in my environment is involved (is it that our BI server is now Unix-based? was it moving to EG? from 9.1.2 to 9.1.3?), or (more to the point) what to change in the code to make the output render properly.

Any leads would be gratefully appreciated!
Steve
3 REPLIES 3
sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10 sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
Suggest you share the expanded SAS log (pasted in a post-reply here) showing the DATA step where you do the PUT statements, again to include the SAS log and associated diagnostic messages about your output "fileref" attributes.

Scott Barry
SBBWorks, Inc.
Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
The problem is the change in SAS servers. Each version of SAS marks the end-of-line in a PUT file with the indicator that is native to that platform. In Windows, it is a combination; in Unix, it is just a .

Some Windows editors can adjust, but others cannot, so if you open the file in Word, ti will look and print fine, but if you open it in Notepad, you will see those little rectangles (Notepad's way of indicating a character that it cannot display.).

There is a freely available utility called unix2dos that will convert the output from the Unix end-of-line to Windows. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix2dos . It is available in both Unix and Windows versions.

Doc Muhlbaier
Duke
Strange_Attractor
Calcite | Level 5
Thanks, Doc - I'll check that utility out. Thanks also to Scott SBB!

Steve

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation