BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
user24feb
Barite | Level 11

Hello,

I am using Enterprise Guide 6.1 (32 bit) and have a couple of questions regarding its optimal settings.

1. Are there recommended settings which are suitable for EG [6.1 M1 (6.100.0.4025) (32-Bit)] and SAS Base [SAS 9.4 TS Level 1M1 W32_7 PRO WindowsNT Server-Version] running under Windows 7 (32 bit, 4 GB RAM)?

2. When I switch between SAS-programs which have "large" data sets the EG starts working (on what I cannot tell) and will not stop. I assume that this has something to do with the size of the result files. I am not even interested in the data sets and only would like to reach the program code. Is there a possibility to either manage the memory/resources better or at least to turn off the connection (?) of a program to its data sets within the EG so that I can get to the mere program code?

3. If I try to quit a current EG-process using the Windows Task Manager I cannot restart my programmes because no lock for my data sets is available (which to some extent is clear, because I didn't close the EG properly, but I guess there should be a way to restart software without restarting the computer). Is there a way to restore a data-lock after the Task Manager interrupts?

Thanks & kind regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jakarman
Barite | Level 11

EGuide will normally start without opening any sas session so you can code your programs. There should be no connection required for this.

That should be according your question...

When you open u a server (local a remote) you get a sas session running. The files / libraries are opening up and showing data on that sas session.
Still no big datasets can be open at this moment unless somebody has something done in the start of that sas session (autoexec or metadata).

When you open datasets libraries those datasets are getting accessed and opened. How that can be tuned is found under the tools/options tab 
- there is a data/general tab (why automatically open)
- data/performance no limit scan when import and limit of rows of 10.0000 are options to review.

Remember the EGP project is a storage location for all, code but also logs and results. Creating big logs is making the EGP project file big.
This should normally not be an issue, the egp file is a zipped file with some data.

---->-- ja karman --<-----

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
jakarman
Barite | Level 11

1/ In the on-line help and menu-s there are some settings influencing processing. The defaults should work.

What is optimal for you does not need to be optimal for everyone. That is why these are settings, tuning settings is a dedicated job.

2/ "large" data sets and long running jobs is not the functionality for Eguide. you can better use batch processing (scripts) for that. Should be no problem to code inside SAS flows as the x-cmd on windows is open.

3/ Eguide is a client interacting wit a server process, the setting for Windows is synchronous (not asynchroon multitasking) processing, this mode is requiring a constant connection as it does polling.
Whe your server process (sas.exe) is looping Eguide will not interact anymore, do not kill the client Eguide but the server SAS process.

There is as pane in Eguide (task-manager) that has the goal of killing the server process. Try that one first when needed.

user24feb
Barite | Level 11

I didn't think of batches. Will try. 🙂

Is there a way to provent the enterprise guide from connecting to large data sets, if I only would like to get to a program file?

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

There is an option for "automatically opening results" or similar. Look for that in the Options menu.

(I don't have worked with 6.1 yet, am currently using 4.3)

user24feb
Barite | Level 11

Thanks to all. I've been playing around with the options a little. Maybe the batch process is the solution.

(will mark as helpful answers as soon as I find the button .. Smiley Happy)

jakarman
Barite | Level 11

EGuide will normally start without opening any sas session so you can code your programs. There should be no connection required for this.

That should be according your question...

When you open u a server (local a remote) you get a sas session running. The files / libraries are opening up and showing data on that sas session.
Still no big datasets can be open at this moment unless somebody has something done in the start of that sas session (autoexec or metadata).

When you open datasets libraries those datasets are getting accessed and opened. How that can be tuned is found under the tools/options tab 
- there is a data/general tab (why automatically open)
- data/performance no limit scan when import and limit of rows of 10.0000 are options to review.

Remember the EGP project is a storage location for all, code but also logs and results. Creating big logs is making the EGP project file big.
This should normally not be an issue, the egp file is a zipped file with some data.

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

If you suspect that large results output are getting in your way, you can streamline this by turning off the "fancy" ODS destinations such as SAS Report and HTML, and stick with the old-school LISTING (text) output.  You can set this at the EG Options level, or as a property of each individual program node.  See this blog post for details:

Take control of ODS results in SAS Enterprise Guide - The SAS Dummy

Chris

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Today is the last day to save with the early bird rate! Register today for just $695 - $100 off the standard rate.

Plus, pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 7 likes
  • 4 in conversation