BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
bfeeny
Calcite | Level 5

I have Enterprise Guide up and running in a Workstation configuration, basically on my laptop.

What I would really like to do, is install the necessary EG components on a server (fast and powerful server), and then connect to it from my laptop running just the EG Client.

Is this difficult to do for a basic setup?  I have searched through the documentation but I have just seen instructions on setting up EG from the Software Depot.  Perhaps I need to look for specific terminology in order to navigate the documentation I need?  This is nothing production and polished, this is more quick and dirty, for my own understanding.  Basically single user so I have the mechanics of client/server working in a basic level.

Any help or direction would be appreciated!  I would love to be able to use my laptop EG Client and connect to a more powerful machine on my LAN, especially when using some of the multi-core procedures.

Brian

2 REPLIES 2
jakarman
Barite | Level 11

In your case: " lap-top -> server " you need a server-process.  There are many service processes on a server. The service you need is called a workspace-server.

The workspace-server will actually run a process something like your would have done a login on the machine (minor differences).

It is started for a service process, that one is the objectspawner.  Some information is coming from a metadata-server that is the metadataserver.

It is difficult?

- no when you know what to do and have all access.

- yes if you are getting into troubles with license and server admins.

---->-- ja karman --<-----
bfeeny
Calcite | Level 5

Jaap,

Thanks for the reply!  I am very comfortable with Redhat, so I will take a stab at following the Redhat SAS installation.  I see I have to install a spawner and metadata server as well so I will look for the documentation on those components.

Brian

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation