Desktop productivity for business analysts and programmers

Setting up Enterprise Guide server component

Occasional Contributor

Setting up Enterprise Guide server component

I have Enterprise Guide up and running in a Workstation configuration, basically on my laptop.

What I would really like to do, is install the necessary EG components on a server (fast and powerful server), and then connect to it from my laptop running just the EG Client.

Is this difficult to do for a basic setup?  I have searched through the documentation but I have just seen instructions on setting up EG from the Software Depot.  Perhaps I need to look for specific terminology in order to navigate the documentation I need?  This is nothing production and polished, this is more quick and dirty, for my own understanding.  Basically single user so I have the mechanics of client/server working in a basic level.

Any help or direction would be appreciated!  I would love to be able to use my laptop EG Client and connect to a more powerful machine on my LAN, especially when using some of the multi-core procedures.

Brian

Valued Guide

Re: Setting up Enterprise Guide server component

In your case: " lap-top -> server " you need a server-process.  There are many service processes on a server. The service you need is called a workspace-server.

The workspace-server will actually run a process something like your would have done a login on the machine (minor differences).

It is started for a service process, that one is the objectspawner.  Some information is coming from a metadata-server that is the metadataserver.

It is difficult?

- no when you know what to do and have all access.

- yes if you are getting into troubles with license and server admins.

---->-- ja karman --<-----
Occasional Contributor

Re: Setting up Enterprise Guide server component

Jaap,

Thanks for the reply!  I am very comfortable with Redhat, so I will take a stab at following the Redhat SAS installation.  I see I have to install a spawner and metadata server as well so I will look for the documentation on those components.

Brian

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation