BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
deleted_user
Not applicable
Quick apologies as I do not have a SAS background...

My company uses a variety of reporting methods (SQL Server Reporting Services, Crystal, SAS and a few others). I'm building a portal that allows all of these different reports to be organized together and viewed in one location (asp.net web form). I am done with all of the methods except for embedding the .srx files. Does anyone here know of a good resource to use as an example? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
10 REPLIES 10
sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10 sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
Are you asking the forum subscribers for a "good resource" for an XML viewer (presumed interpretation of "srx" file extension purpose), from within the SAS environment?

Scott Barry
SBBWorks, Inc.
deleted_user
Not applicable
Scott - I am asking that (if I understand you correctly).

For example, if I want to render a SQL Server Reporting Services report within an ASP.Net form, I can use the reportViewer control. Just as you mentioned, this control will read the SSRS xml file and will display the report in the web form the same way it does in SSRS's out-of-the-box portal (Report Manager). I am looking to see if there is something similar for SAS reports.

(By a "good resource", I mean any documentation or implementation examples of such a control).
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi:
A few comments. An .srx file (SAS Report XML) is intended for use in the SAS Enterprise Intelligence/Business Intelligence Platform. An .srx file created in SAS Enterprise Guide is "transformed" to an HTML-ish version of the report by internal transforms in EG.

Then, in other client applications of the BI Platform, such as Web Report Studio, the SAS Add-in for Microsoft Office, and the Information Delivery Portal -- there are also transforms that convert the .SRX report to the form that is appropriate to the client application. When you publish report to a WebDAV repository, in the EI/BI platform, the file is stored as an .srx (SAS Report XML) file.

If you want to know whether there are published XSL transforms to convert SAS Report XML to HTML or other format, I do not believe there are. But if there is ANY information on the specification for SAS Report XML, it will be in the Platform documentation, probably in the Integration Technologies doc. The "official" name might be under SAS Report XML but also might be under SAS Report Object Model.

If you are not using the BI Platform and cannot use the internal transforms, then perhaps you want to take advantage of other destinations, such as HTML, RTF or PDF that can be created with the Output Delivery System.

If you are writing your own ASP application to deliver EI/BI content, then you may want to contact SAS Tech Support for more help. They have some examples of ASP and the Platform here, (but Tech Support may also be able to offer you specific help with your code):
http://support.sas.com/rnd/itech/updates/913/dev_guide_sp4_2.pdf
http://support.sas.com/rnd/itech/doc9/dev_guide/dist-obj/winclnt/windotnet.html
http://support.sas.com/techsup/technote/ts750.pdf
http://www2.sas.com/proceedings/sugi31/013-31.pdf

cynthia
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager
There is not currently an ASP.NET-friendly control to render an SRX file.

In the next release of EG (4.2), we'll have the ability to export SAS Report files (SRX) to HTML and PDF, which should help fill the gap.

Chris
It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
deleted_user
Not applicable
Cynthia/Chris...

Thanks - that was the type of answer I was looking for (although, of course, I would have preferred one saying that SAS has a report viewer control).

I'll probably explore embedding the reports into the portal I am making by using an IFrame. Using this approach should allow me to access what I need. My only question regarding this would have to do with accessing the reports entirely with a URL string and including credentials within the string in order to bypass the login page (Portal/displayLogon.do). Would either of you know whether this is possible?

Thanks again...you've already helped me a lot by saving me time looking for something that doesn't exist!!!
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager
I don't know the answer to that for SAS 9.1.3-based reports. In SAS 9.2 there is support for single-signon, so if you can depend on that configuration you should be covered.

Chris
It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi:
I don't know the answer to your question. When I execute stored processes via URL using the SPWA, I do still get a login page. I know there is a way to customize execution further so you don't get the SP default Portal execution page.

This is the kind of question you might research in the Integration Technologies Developer's Guide or work out with Tech Support.

cynthia
Interstorm_
Calcite | Level 5
Chris - this is in regards to your comment:

"There is not currently an ASP.NET-friendly control to render an SRX file.

In the next release of EG (4.2), we'll have the ability to export SAS Report files (SRX) to HTML and PDF, which should help fill the gap.
"

We are now on version 4.2 and I am looking to integrate my company's 2 report portals (SAS & SSRS) together into one "apparent" application. I am doing this with an ASP.Net website and using the ReportViewer control to render SSRS items. I am also using the Crystal Report Viewer for a few Crystal items we have. Does SAS have a service or API that is exposed for one to use in order to render a report in the HTML/PDF format -- especially from .Net code?

A link to an example would be greatly appreciated.
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager
No, there is not a published .NET API to transform SAS Report into PDF or HTML. However, you can use SAS Enterprise Guide to export the SAS Report as HTML or PDF, either as a one-off operation or as a repeatable step in your process flow.

Also, a SAS Report can be published to SAS Web Report Studio, and viewed within that application or as part of the SAS Information Delivery Portal using a web report viewer.

Chris
deleted_user
Not applicable
Based on this thread, I would like to place my question here. Is it possible to publish SAS Datasets on a ASP.net along with other modules/pdf reports/doc. on the same website. I am trying to do it with SAS Integration Technologies but couldn't succeed. Is there any means of publish or integrate SAS datasets/reports on our own web page?

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 5 in conversation