Desktop productivity for business analysts and programmers

SAS Query Not Overriding SAS Code when Changed

Accepted Solution Solved
Highlighted
Contributor
Accepted Solution

SAS Query Not Overriding SAS Code when Changed

Hello,

I created computed columns using SAS Query Builder and then at the end of the report wanted to chnage the format of a variable and use traffic lighting.  Since I don't know how to use the click and point feature to use traffic lighting I decided to write the code out for it.  I went to edit the code from the query builder which prompted me to copy the code and then be able to append the format/traffic lighting code.  The only issue is that every time I have to update the query builder it does not feed into the code in the program that I have copied so the changes do not feed into the final report that has the traffic lighting.  Is there anyway around this or something I could be doing differnetly to make it more simple?

Thanks!

Accepted Solutions
Solution
2 weeks ago
Super User

Re: SAS Query Not Overriding SAS Code when Changed

You're either point-and-clicking your way to a solution, or writing code yourself. Once you take code out of the p&c interface, it's up to you to maintain it.

The code that SAS creates for a node is always a result of the internal metadata inside that node. Every change you make results in a complete rewrite of the code (although that happens so fast you can't see it). Once you take the code out and modify it, there's no way for SAS to follow that and somehow make metadata for it.

How do you implement the traffic lighting?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maxims of Maximally Efficient SAS Programmers

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
2 weeks ago
Super User

You're either point-and-clicking your way to a solution, or writing code yourself. Once you take code out of the p&c interface, it's up to you to maintain it.

The code that SAS creates for a node is always a result of the internal metadata inside that node. Every change you make results in a complete rewrite of the code (although that happens so fast you can't see it). Once you take the code out and modify it, there's no way for SAS to follow that and somehow make metadata for it.

How do you implement the traffic lighting?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maxims of Maximally Efficient SAS Programmers
Contributor

I'm usig proc report to traffic light.  Is there a way to point-and-click?

Respected Advisor

I don't think so.
☑ This topic is solved.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation