Desktop productivity for business analysts and programmers

SAS Enterprise model transformation

New Contributor

SAS Enterprise model transformation

Hello all,

Very new undergraduate SAS user here - trying to bring myself up to speed on some procedures. 

What are the procedures for transforming variables in SAS Enterprose? In my case, I have a dataset for an internship that is giving me a curvinlinear "residual by predicted" graph after running a linear regression on my data.  I want to transform the variables via a model in order to have them become more linear.  What are my options

Here is a very short dataset that is representative of what I am trying to transform

x: 10 15 20 30 40 50 60

y (dep): 700 550 400 270 190 130 100

right now it is giving me a "smiley face" and I am looking for a model to transform it and the what I have to do to the variables.

Trusted Advisor

Re: SAS Enterprise model transformation

I was taught to try the log of one or both variables first. In your case, log(y) seems to come out nicely linear.

Tom

New Contributor

Tom, thanks.

So in that case would I just change the input data to reflect logs of y instead of the given values and still run as a linear regression? or do I run it as a different kind of regression?

Sorry for the naive questions, I am very new at this and trying to teach myself as I go before I take an in-depth class on it next semester.
Grand Advisor

FYI the first course on statistics with SAS is free if you're interested. 

Search SAS Analytics U community forum and see the right hand menu. 

Trusted Advisor

I'm on somewhat thin ice here, but fortunately @Reeza is watching this also, so she'll put me straight if I stray.

Yes, just use log(y) instead of y, and run your linear regression.

Grand Advisor

@TomKari Is correct. 

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation