BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
KBACHU
Fluorite | Level 6

Hello,

We want to restrict parallel processing option in SAS Enterprise guide 5.1. Is there any way we can stop users using this option?

Thanks,

Karthik

9 REPLIES 9
Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Parallel processing occurs on the server, not in EGuide.  EGuide can just set up a process flow to be optimized for parallel processing.  If you actually want to turn off parallel processing, you need to do that at the server side; take a look at the THREADS and CPUCOUNT OPTIONs (they are a bit older, but may still do the trick for you).

Doc Muhlbaier

Duke

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

I think that Karthik is referring to the ability of EG to run tasks in parallel by spawning additional SAS Workspace sessions. The feature is named: "Allow parallel execution on the same server".

When you enable this feature on a project, EG will create additional SAS Workspace sessions on the target server and submit tasks to each one, keeping things running in sequence based on dependencies in the flow.  This can reduce the "clock time" of your processing, but it puts more strain on the server as one EG user may be utilizing several SAS Workspace processes.

As far as I know, there isn't a way to restrict this from an admin setting.

Chris

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
DavidHenderson
SAS Employee

You can disable the option in the EG interface by removing the capability from the user roles in SAS Management Console.

(I am looking at a newer installation of EG, so your system may differ somewhat, but it should be close.)

1. Open SAS Management Console

2. On the Plug-ins pane, select Environment Manager -> User Manager

3. In the right pane, double-click on one of the Enterprise Guide roles.  The Advanced Properties dialog will appear.

4. Click on the Capabilities tab and expand the tree:  Applications -> Enterprise Guide -> Options

5. The very last item in that folder is "Allow Parallel Execution on the Same Server".  Uncheck that item.

You will need to do the same for all other EG roles if you want to prevent all users from using parallel execution.  By only removing it from some of the roles, you can be selective about who is allowed to execute jobs in parallel.

Hope that helps!

-David.

KBACHU
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi David,

Thanks for the response, but I dont see that option when I went to the Enterpise guide roles in Management Console. I am using SAS Management Console 9.2 to connect to 9.3 on the server. Do I need to use SAS MC 9.3 to see that option?

Karthik

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

David was looking at a version of EG that is under development (future), not 5.1.

I don't think that this capability can be disabled in the current version of EG (5.1), but it is planned for a future release.

Chris

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
DavidHenderson
SAS Employee

Chris is right, the capability that I was referring to isn't available in the EG 5.1.  Sorry for the false promise.

BTW, in your response, you mentioned that you are using the 9.2 version of SAS Management Console to connect to a 9.3 SAS Metadata Server.  That is not advisable.  I don't know of documented issues with using that combination, but SAS Management Console is only tested against the same version of Metadata Server.  You can probably get away with it for most things, but it isn't advisable and definitely not supported.

KBACHU
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks Chris and David for your feedback. We did not fully rollut SAS 9.3 yet so just exploring 9.3 on test box.

So there is no way we can restrict from users using parallel processing in EG 5.1. Our main concern was that the CPU usage might go up if the users run many programs sinultaneously using the parallel processing feature. Is SAS coming up with any maintanance release or hotfix to restrict this in EG 5.1?

Thanks,

Karthik

TomKari
Onyx | Level 15

To be honest, we've had LOTS of SAS users pounding our servers in a lot of ways, and we've never really run into the box being choked up.

I suggest you monitor your server(s), and if they're handling the workload, don't worry about it.

Tom

KBACHU
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks TomKari for your feedback.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 5 in conversation