BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Tushh
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

I have two profile in SAS EG i.e. Test & Production

i want to move all/some data/SAS content from prodcution to test.

is there any way to do that easily or without any additional tool?

i want to create libraries & want to test production data into that..

12 REPLIES 12
RahulG
Barite | Level 11

You may have to create new libraries in test envrionment. These library should point to Production data. This would not be easy as production access in different environment is generally not provided.

Or you may try to import production dataset to test using proc cimport. But again, you need to check, if it is allowed to move production dataset to test environment in your setup.

Tushh
Calcite | Level 5

Yes you are right Rahul thnx

but still i am not clear with the issue.

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

First of all, are you alone in these environments? If not, chances are that somebody else has set up routines/guideline for your site.

Else, it depends on your structure how to accomplish this in the easiest way.

If your test and prod is on the same server (or if your data is stored in a shared location), you could allocate temporarily libname to test from prod, and use PROC COPY, copy/paste in EG or whatever mechanism you feel comfortable with.

If the data is on separate hosts, and you have license for SAS/CONNECT, use PROC UPLOAD/DOWNLOAD to copy content.

A third non-best-practice one is to copy the underlying files outside SAS (Windows explorer, DOS/UNIX shell/ftp).

Data never sleeps
Tushh
Calcite | Level 5

Thank U

Linush

SASKiwi
PROC Star

My guess is that the two SAS profiles you have in EG point to two SAS App servers,called something like SASApp and SASApp2. These App servers might run on the same physical server or they might run on different physical servers. Do you know which?

Typical best practice for change control between Prod and Dev is to deploy programs from Dev to Prod but not to copy data. Data should be sourced independently by both the Prod and Dev software. If you don't do that then you wont know what is causing any differences between the two environments.

EG does contain functionality to do change control (V6.1 onwards I think) but not all by itself. You need to add third-party tools like GIT, TFS etc. Also you need to give careful thought to what your change control processes should be. The organisation where you work may already have such processes and tools. Learn from what they are doing and use some of their processes if appropriate. 

Tushh
Calcite | Level 5

thank u

i have only SASAPP server

test & production both on that

SASKiwi
PROC Star

In that case I am confused. What is the difference between your test and production EG profiles then if they both point to SASApp - are these on different physical servers?

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
Also a bit confused.
If I read your answer strictly I understand that you dre sharing the same environment (metadata and the configuration directory) between test and prod.
And then you need different libref for test and prod data.
Not a preferable setup.
Nevertheless, if this is the case use SAS to copy content as decribed in my earlier post.
Data never sleeps
Tushh
Calcite | Level 5

Thank U all...

But i just want to copy some file from Prod to Test in EG without any utility.

There are lots of files i cant copy one by one so need any simple way to copy particular folder from server to SAS shared files..

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
Please investigate the numerous sugestions you've got so far. We're here to help, not to do your job or for basic education.
Data never sleeps
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

I agree with @LinusH - you'll need to provide many more details if you want the group to be able to help.

Let me add these two hints though.  If you are simply looking to move data from a library on one SAS server to a library on a second SAS server, you could use the Data->Download Data Sets and Upload Data Sets task to move many files at once, via EG.  Download to your PC, then upload to the destination server.

Alternatively, you could use the custom Copy Files task to do similar with files

Both of these are sort of "down and dirty" methods, and don't really respect the rigour usually expected for a dev/test/prod workflow.

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
Tushh
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you all..!!!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 5 in conversation