BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Clubber_Lang
Fluorite | Level 6

I have a user with a Windows laptop and an Amazon Workspace. Both are running Windows 10. SAS Enterprise Guide 8.3 installed on both. On the laptop, Enterprise Guide works as expected. On the Amazon Workspace, user clicks the Enterprise Guide icon from her Start menu and nothing happens: no dialogs, no error messages, nothing. 

As far as I can tell, all the files from the install are in the correct location. Looking at the DeploymentSummary.html file in the InstallLogs folder, all SAS EG components have installed successfully. 

We having the user log in with his admin account, but same thing happened.

Our site support staff also tried an uninstall/reinstall of the application to see if that made any difference. It did not.

Amazon Workspace has been rebooted after the Enterprise Guide install.

Out of ideas for what else to try; hoping someone from the community has some suggestions.

6 REPLIES 6
SASKiwi
PROC Star

This sounds more like a problem for SAS Tech Support, so I'd suggest you open a track with them. You may need to turn on EG logging to diagnose what the problem is.

Sajid01
Meteorite | Level 14

In principle the Windows installation on laptop are the same. For any application installed on windows, it should not matter whether it is Amazon work space or laptop.
Please check to see if other applications such as word/excel open when clicked in the menu in the same manner as is done for SAS EG.
If that works, then please check where the SAS EG link in the menu item points to. The desktop support support  should look into this. If the Desktop is centrally managed, then policies and permissions need to be looked into.

Clubber_Lang
Fluorite | Level 6

UPDATE: I remoted to the system and Enterprise Guide opened fine for me. Issue appears to be user-specific. When user attempts to run the program via the Start menu shortcut (which is pointed to the correct executable), nothing happens. Don't see the process launching in Task Manager. We've gathered the event viewer logs and have opened a case w/ SAS Technical Support. Thanks to all who responded. 

Sajid01
Meteorite | Level 14

Thanks for the update.
It is my experience as an administrator that whenever a user has an issue with SAS clients, the presumption of defect (or to be precise failure) is upon SAS.

SAS is very robust and in most case this presumption is false.
In this case too, I would first say please try to see that whether the user  is able to work with other applications or not.
Please do update when the issue is resolved.

Clubber_Lang
Fluorite | Level 6
Yes, user can use other applications normally.
Sajid01
Meteorite | Level 14

If it is possible try restoring the Windows desktop on Amazon workspace to a state before installation of SAS EG.
After that try installing using the stand alone install.

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation